Chapter 8: Midnight Affairs

~Shakira’s POV~

Shakira sighed happily as she watched Adam on his guitar. She had caught him walking down the street a few hours earlier and thought it would be interesting to surprise him. She didn’t realize it would lead to her hanging at his house for hours.

Finishing his song, he said, “Grape me.” Laughing, she tore a grape off of the vine that was on a napkin on the center table in his large living room. She threw it and he caught it in his mouth almost effortlessly. She unconsciously watched his mouth as he chewed it, her stomach doing a somersault. Tearing her eyes away, she took one herself. Unlike her, Adam didn’t hide his fascination, causing her to blush and turn her head, giggling.

He laughed good naturedly, then began playing another song. She recognized it instantly, having been a fan of his band since they started. He began singing and her heart swelled at the beautiful, smooth sound.

“Beauty queen of eighteen she, had some trouble with herself...”

She watched as his eyes drifted closed and he fell into the song, the world around him forgotten. It made her feel special to see this side of him, the one that’s not a standoffish idiot for the cameras. The real, caring, Adam full of emotion and personality.

"I don’t mind spending everyday, out on your corner in the pouring rain. Look for the girl with the broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay awhile. And she will be loved, she will be loved...”

Shakira couldn’t remove the smile that was plastered on her face. His voice was just so perfect, the song just so good. She wished she could listen to it over and over again for the rest of her life. His voice made her crazy.

The song ended and they sat in silence for a minute, both looking at each other but not saying anything. They didn’t have to.

Adam broke the serenity. “It’s quite late. Actually, quite early to be exact. It’s almost two in the morning. Do you want me to bring you home?” Pausing, he thought.

Wait, how did you get to this side of the city? You live pretty far away.”

Giggling, she said, “I drove most of the way. When I saw you, I parked down the street so I could surprise you.” She couldn’t help but look embarrassed; she pretty much just told him she was coming to see him. Oops.

“Oh, okay.” If he realized such, he didn’t let on. “Well, do you want me to walk you to your car then?” He looked at her hopefully, and she knew she wasn’t going to let him down. After all, she was the one who came to find him. She can’t just up and walk away. “Sure.”

Grabbing her sweater, Adam threw it to her and she put it on. Getting to the door, she slipped her shoes on and turned around, looking to see where Adam was.

She had a split second before she was up against the wall, her lips taken over by his. Instead of fighting it, she allowed it, savoring the faint taste of grape on his mouth. His tongue demanded entrance, and she complied, their tongues dancing and the heat rising. He began running his hands up her sides, causing her to shudder. He slowly slipped the sweater back off her shoulders, their mouths never separating. His hands circled her waist, and he lifted her off the ground. Reflexively, she wrapped her legs around his waist and her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. He moaned and walked back towards the living room, sitting down on the couch.

A fire had started inside her, and all thoughts in her head were consumed by it, her hunger growing fierce. Before she knew it, her shirt had been ripped off and Adam was running his hands over her waist and her stomach. She leaned her head back, her eyes shut in pleasure. She moaned, and Adam brought her head back to his, resuming the kiss. She tugged at his shirt, and he threw it off behind the couch somewhere. Placing his mouth back on hers, he laid her down, climbing on top of her and resting his weight on his elbows so as not to crush her.

Shakira’s hands flew over his stomach, feeling his abs and chest, both chiseled and perfect, just the way she had always imagined them to be. He caressed her lower abdomen, then unzipped her shorts. Wiggling them down, he tore them off and threw them on the floor, returning to her mouth once more. He touched her thong, and she jumped.

Reality crashing down on her suddenly, Shakira froze and stopped breathing.

Realizing her sudden change, Adam sat up, and got off of her. Slowly sitting it up, she caught her breath and then said in a small voice, looking at the floor, “I’m sorry.”

“Uh, no. It was, uh, my fault. Really. I shouldn’t have done that. Dick move.” He turned awkwardly towards the other room as she got redressed, then said, “So, um, I guess you’re going then?"

She didn’t know what to say. She couldn’t believe how close that had gotten. “Yeah, I'll, um, talk to you tomorrow I guess.”

“Right, okay. See ya.” Still not looking at her, he turned away.

Leaving without another word, Shakira got halfway down the street, thankfully out of view of his house, and sat down on the curb, tears pouring out of her eyes.

“What am I doing? This is so wrong.” She spoke to the darkness, unable to move. She stayed there for a while, then walked back to her car and drove home. When she got there, she found her son fast asleep in his crib and her boyfriend passed out on the couch. Feeling sick to her stomach with guilt, she went up to her room and changed. She climbed into bed and managed to cry herself into a fitful sleep hours later, just as the sun was starting to come up.

 ~Adam’s POV~

Sitting in his armchair on his back porch, he watched the sun rise as his stomach sank further and further down. He had never felt so sick in his life. What have I done? There’s no way I’m going to be able to fix this. He sat, miserably alone and consumed by guilt. He didn’t have the strength to move from the chair, didn’t bother trying to sleep. He just looked out at all the houses around, wondering what the hell he was to do now.