Chapter 3

My last week before school was actually really depressing. I had to let all my friends know I was not coming back because I was being forced into another school. It was really sad, and to be honest I'd rather be going to my old school. 

I could not sleep at all last night. I knew that I would have to get up early and go to this new school. I still have not told anyone I chose Dauntless yet either. It is better if my parents don't know for as long as possible. Whenever they asked me, I diverted the question. 

I lay in my bed starring at my clock, watching as the numbers count up to 6AM. I chose to get up at that time, because it leaves me with an hour to get to school on time. My alarm finally goes off, and I turn it off immediately. I race to the bathroom to beat Caleb there again. 

I take a quick shower and put on the skinny jeans and black t-shirt I picked to wear today. I open the door to be greated by Caleb and his usual complaining. I don't even respond to him, because I am just not in the mood. I go into my room and grab my black hoodie and my backpack. 

My hands reach for my car keys out of habit, and I race downstairs. My nerves are getting to me, so I decide to skip breakfast. When I get to my car, I open the door and throw my backpack in the passenger side. 

I get my car started, and back out of the driveway. It will take me about ten minutes to get to the school. On my way out of the neighborhood, I see Caleb's white Audi right behind me. Great, now my annoying brother will know if I decide to ditch. I guess that Is out of the question now. 

After the drive, I pull into the parking lot of the school, and turn my car off. Caleb pulls into the spot right next to me. I grab my backpack, shove my phone and keys into my pocket, and push open the door. When I see a whole bunch of kids staring at me and Caleb I shout. "Yeah that's right. We have nice cars. Get over it."

"Beatrice, it is our first day, and you are already going to get into a fight." Caleb whispers.

"Caleb, I don't get into fights. It doesn't happen." I tell him. I have never gotten into a fight, but I have a feeling that it will happen sooner or later.

"Yeah...Sure." He mumbles.

"Whatever." I mumble back. We finally reach the entrance to the school, and I head straight to home room. I need to get away from Caleb. 

"Your going the wrong way." Caleb calls after me. How dare he think that I was going to choose some stupid thing like Erudite.

"No I'm not Caleb. Just keep your head in your own business." I shout back. I don't wait for his reply. I just hurry off to Tori's room.

When I get there, Tori waits outside the door. "Hi Tris, this is your locker number and combination. It is right across the hall." She hands me the paper and points to the black lockers that line the other side of the hallway.

I take the piece from her and see that I have locker number 6. I let out a huge sigh and go to find my locker.

I get my locker open, and I shove my backpack into my locker. I slam the door and when I turn around, I am greeted by a really energetic girl. "Hi! I'm Christina! Are you new here?" She asks.

"Yep." I give a simple reply. I walk past her, but she just follows me. I don't feel like talking to people today. It is just one of those days.

"Are you in Tori's home room?" she asks me as I walk into Tori's room.

"Yeah." I reply again, as sit down in an empty seat near the back. Christina sits down next to me. 

"Look, you need to stop being a jerk. Just tell me your name, and I'll help get you through your first day." She suddenly gets all serious. 

"I'm Tris... I..." I can't finish my sentence, because I am too distracted by who just walked in. It is that kid from the club I picked. What was his name? Oh yeah, his name was Four. I am interrupted by Christina snapping her fingers in my face. 

"Tris. Every girl looks at him like that. He is the captain of the boxing team." She tells me. 

"Yeah. I know. I joined boxing." I tell her. Her face brights up. 

"Oh really! Me too! Let me see your schedule." I hand her my schedule and she looks over it. "We have science, math, and PE together." 

At least I know some one in some of my classes. "Oh, Cool!" I reply. I feel my phone buzz so I take it out and see that I have a text from Four. 

Conditioning after school. -Four. 

I look at Christina and her mouth drops."I forgot about that." She says. Honestly I did too. "I don't have anything to wear." 

"Well don't they have some sort of thing we change into?" I ask. Every school has that lost and found with the sweaty gym clothes in it. 

"Oh yeah your right. Let me see your phone so I can text you throughout the day." She says. I hand her my phone and she puts in her contact info. Christina hands me my phone back. "Send me a quick text so I get your number too." 

I send her a quick text. Then Tori get our attention. "Alright I'm going to call roll. Then you can go. There is no point in being here." She shouts over all of our talking to get us quiet. 

"Four" She shouts. Then a deep sounding "Here comes from a group of boys. 

"Uriah and Zeke. Oh great I'm stuck with you two again." She smiles and then two boys say here. 

"Tris." I raise my hand and say here. "Oh class, Tris is new. Be sure to say hi if you see her around today." I sink down into my chair. I hate being called out in class. 

Tori goes through the list of names. I don't recognize any of the names. When she is done she excuses us to go to our first period class. It doesn't start for another ten minutes, so Christina and I hang out by my locker. I notice Four walk out of the classroom and walk over to Christina and I. 

"I didn't know you were new here. You should have told me." He says to me. 

"Yeah. Sorry." I say. 

Christina buts in to say. "Tris is being a grump today." 

"How come?" Four asks me. I notice that Four's other friends join our little conversation. I think their names were Uriah and Zeke. 

"It's nothing." I shrug my shoulders. I don't want to sound like that one person who complains all the time. 

"HI Christina!" Uriah says to Christina. 

"Hey. Nice to see you again." I guess that Christina and Uriah know each other. 

"Any of you doing boxing this year?" Uriah asks all of us. 

"I think that Christina and Tris are." Four says. Christina and I just nod. 

"Oh cool me too!" Uriah says. "My big brother here is helping to coach." Uriah points to Zeke. "Him and Four are seniors. What grade are you in?" Uriah asks me.

"I'm a junior." I say.

"Oh cool. Welcome to Dauntless." Four adds. I just smile at him. 

The bell finally rings and I can  get out of that awkward situation. Christina and I walk off to AP Bio together. I have a feeling that today will not be as bad as I thought it would. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's short. I had to cut it off there, or else I would have to stop in an awkward place. 

not edited

-N10