Part 18

A couple hours later, Michael and Karen sat at the kitchen table with Luke curled up on the couch in the living room. Michael was able to get his boyfriend back to sleep with soft words and comforting touches. Michael and Karen just sat there, Michael refusing to meet his mother's eyes.

"When were you going to tell me, were you even going to tell me?" Karen asked trying not to yell at her son.

"I . . . I was going to tell you as soon as I found out what he is, but you saw how he was when you saw us. He's terrified that he's going to be sent back. I wanted to tell you, I really did, but Luke trusted me and I couldn't break that trust." Michael tried to explain.

"So this is why you were so interested in what would happen if animal testing were going on. Michael, I have to tell my superiors about this. . ."

"No! You can't! They'll take Luke away and experiment on him! Even if he doesn't go back to the lab he used to be at, they'll take him to a different lab!"

"Even so, there is nothing we can do. He's not apart of our family."

"But I love him. Calum and Ashton have met him and they like him too. He can fit in here, he has been for weeks. He goes out to the park everyday and no one has figured out what he is. He has family here. Luke as an older sister and older brother. They went their entire lives wanting to meet their little brother and now they have. They care about him and they're nice people. . ."

"People? So he has siblings that are humans?"

"Yes, they don't know why but he does have a family and you promised to protect him. I love him. What if his sister got custody of him? No one could take him away then, right?"

"I don't know, Michael, this is a gray area. As far as I know, nothing like this has ever happened."

"I can't lose him. He trusts me, and now he trusts you. You would be breaking your promise. You can't. I love him, mum." Michael pleaded.

"Michael, as far as the law is concerned you are already breaking it. He is evidence, a witness. And as far as I am concerned Luke was never here, at least not as a human. You are going to be asked questions and you will say that you had no idea your pet was a hybrid. I'm going to tell my superiors that he slipped up and I saw him as a human and that you knew nothing about them."

"When are you going to tell them?"

"Tomorrow."

"Can you wait till Friday so I can say goodbye and try to explain this to Luke? Since you're breaking your promise to him, it's the least you can do."

"Alright. You have all of tomorrow but Friday I have to tell my superiors."

"I'm going to get Luke upstairs."

Karen didn't say anything after that, she let her son take the hybrid to his room. All Michael could think about was by the end of the week, he wouldn't be waking up next to his boyfriend. Michael knew he couldn't let him mother just rip his boyfriend away from him. But it was late and for now he needed to sleep.

In the morning Michael woke up to Luke cuddled up to his side. Soft, innocent, and soon he might be broken. Micheal just held Luke's sleeping body closer at the thought of not being there tomorrow morning. In his sleep, Luke curled up even closer to his sad boyfriend. Michael softly played with Luke's blond hair and tried to think of a way to keep his boyfriend safe.

When he finally got some half baked idea, he slowly woke the sleepy hybrid. Luke slowly blinked his dazzling blue eyes. Michael knew it would be oh so hard to let Luke go but he also knew that if his idea worked than Luke would be safe at least.

"G-Good m-morning." Luke said sleepily.

"Good morning, baby." Michael said as he softly kissed Luke's forehead. He didn't want to ask the next question but he knew that he had to. "Are you meeting Spencer and Harry today?"

"Um . . . I t-think so. Why?"

"Would you mind if I went with you?"

Michael didn't know what to expect but when his boyfriend jumped with excitement that he would get to spend the day with the most important people in his life, Michael's heart sank deeper into his stomach. Luke was so excited. His tail was wagging and his ears were straight up in the ear, he had the brightest smile Michael had ever seen.

"Go get ready baby. I have to pack a bag quickly and then we'll go meet them." Michael said in a hushed voice, almost as if what he was saying was a secret and in a way it was.

Luke didn't think much about Michael packing a bag. He was just so excited. In an hour Michael and Luke left for the park with Luke holding onto Michael's arm. When they got to the park, Luke ran over to Spencer and Harry to hug them. Michael shook Harry's hand and lightly hugged Spencer. When Luke was talking to Harry, Michael pulled Spencer over to talk.

"Spencer, can I talk you you for a second?"

"Sure. What's going on?"

"Is it okay if Luke goes to live with you and Harry?"

I hope this makes up for not posting last week.