Chimney Fire Stories: Armaan | A Little Boy's Hope

December Edition, 2013.

© l_unaMagazine

Chimney Fire Stories

Armaan: A Little Boy's Hope, by MystryGirl

     “It’s not real, Armaan .Stop believing these things. This type of things only happens in stories. And stop feeding these stories to other kids.” I shouted at him. I was very frustrated and angry. “And you kids, haven’t I told you not to believe in these things?” I shouted at all of them - but as I looked around and saw all kids standing there as if they had committed crime, I immediately felt guilty. I said sorry to all of them and told them to go and play outside but I told Armaan to stay. Armaan stood in front of me with his hand tied behind his back and his gaze on floor.

     I kneeled in front of him. “Armaan, beta look at me.” I said in soft voice. He looked at me with unshed tears in his eyes. My heart squeezed looking at him. I always loved children and had soft spot for Armaan. “Don’t cry. Look I am sorry but I am just trying to looking out for you. I just don’t want to get hurt.” I said wiping tear that rolled down his cheek. 

     Confusion crossed his face and he asked, “Didi, how can putting wishing note in socks under Christmas tree can hurt me? I promise I won’t fell down doing so.” 

     I smiled sadly at how simple is his concept about hurting. I am not talking about physical hurt. There is lot that can hurt you without leaving its proof on your body. It can break you for that matter. I have seen how brutally someone can get hurt without scratch on body, in my career as a social worker. I want to save him from hurting. I have been like him believing in this kind of things. Hoping that wishes come true but they never do. You have to struggle to live, face reality and being an orphan didn’t make that any easier. I learned that the hard way.

     But how can I explain this all to a five-year-old who believes in his heart about fairies and Santa Claus?

     “Didi. Didi.” Armaan’s voice brings me out of my thoughts. “Didi, you were looking at the floor for five minutes. You didn’t listen to me. Please just let me leave a letter for Santa under Christmas tree. I promise I will be careful. Please Didi.”

     He was almost pleading me with his eyes. When I didn’t say anything, his face fell. I can’t take it and I stopped him. “Ok Armaan. You can leave note for Santa. Also tell other kids they can leave note if they want. Ok?” 

     After hearing this, His face broke into beautiful smile. It’s like I have given that little boy a world. “Thank you thank you. You are the best in the whole world.” He said while bouncing on his feet and ran outside to tell others.

     I stood up and glanced around in room. The Christmas tree stood in center. Various decorative items like stars, colorful balls, and fairy light were hung on tree messily as kids tried to do the work while playing with as other. But still it looks beautiful. The room was decorated by fairy light as was the whole orphanage. I walked out of room as I had so much to do before tomorrow. Lots of people are coming to orphanage tomorrow and I had to see arrangements.

     On Christmas day, all kids to tree in hope of getting what they want. All of them were really excited to get their gift. But instead of what they wanted, they all got cheap gifts because that’s all I could afford. Last night, I collected all their letters and replaced them by some small gifts so those kids won’t be broken hearted. In those kids, I tried to find Armaan but can’t find him. So I stopped Sonia who was passing by and asked about him.

     What she told me surprise me.

     "Didi, he woke up and had gone to get ready. When I asked if he is coming he said his gift won’t be under tree.” I was really surprised to say the least. Last night he was totally sure Santa will give him his gift and now he think he won’t get gift. What happened overnight? But I didn’t have time to dwell on it. Guests were arriving and I needed to attend to them.