20. Shooting Party

"Where were you so long?" Pius asked Catra, wondering why women take so long to dress up.

"Busy. You men will never understand." She said smiling. Pius eyes roamed her body appreciatively.

She looked so beautiful in that red dress. It was his new favourite dress. Hell, every dress she wore was his favourite dress.

He was nervous tonight. He was going to ask her the big question. Even now across the room, Penny kept shooting him side glances that gave him encouragement.

It was too soon to ask her this.  He was scared that she would refuse. But he was desperate to make her his in every way.

Catra licked her lips. She looked a bit nervous too. And Pius knew why.

It was a valid reason. He was nervous about that too. Hence, he had sent Peter away with Hanes to the newly completed Valor Mansion.

The Valor Mansion was the safest place for them right now and Hanes was the most trustworthy person to keep Peter with.

Catra didn't know about the Valor Mansion's completion. Only Pius and Hanes knew about it. Catra only knew that Hanes had taken Peter to some place safe.

But, a mother never stops worrying about her children.

So, Pius wanted her to have fun tonight. He wanted her to laugh, sing and dance with him. He had a lot of plans for them today. And he hoped with the amount of security and stuff, all his plans would be successful. 

Catra was too quiet when he looked at her.  She was worrying her lower lip that made him want to do that for her.

He smiled and cupped her chin. "What are you thinking about?" He asked. 

She smiled. It looked forced but before Pius could say anything he was interupted by his father and step mother.

"Pius, my son. It's been a long time." The tall Vampire said as he pulled Pius in for a hug. He was forced to hug him back.

He looked at his father suspiciously after that hug. His father had never greeted him so happily before. What was with him now?

"Now, where's that grand son of mine. What did you name him? Paul or something..."

"Peter." Catra said. "He's not here today. We've sent him with his great grand father, for security reasons."

"Ah, yes, I heard about that shooting. They tried to murder a child. How bad that is. You sure do love him like hell to jump in to save him." He said, smiling at Catra.

Catra gave him a forced smile. "I'm his mother. Of course, I love him. All parents love their children. Don't they, Mr. Valor?" She asked, arching an eyebrow.

His step mother cleared her throat and steered the topic away from parent love to the grand party. But Pius had heard the tone of challenge in Catra's voice.  What was she playing at?

What did she know that Pius didn't know?

He looked at her sideways. She chatted away to his mother like nothing happen and left Pius and his father standing there awkwardly.

Pius hadn't talked to his father since he had become Duke. The Gabe Valor was not so happy to give up his status. He tried talking to Pius and telling him to sort out his differences with Catra before becoming Duke, but Pius hadn't listened to him.

Pius stole another glance at Catra. She was still talking to his mother. Catra was awkward and shy in parties. This is what he knew. She had always acted like that in other parties they had attended. Even on their wedding day.