Chapter 15

I burst into the house and run to the computer. Ethan was just going for his morning walk when I nearly ran into him on the way to the study. "Whoa. When did you get back?" he asked. I ignore him and keep running. When I get to the computer look up how to help a dog with a fever. It said to give it a cool bath and make sure it drinks a lot of water and if it exceeds 105° F take it to a veterinarian immediately. So I ran to my bathroom passing Ethan again. This time he just looks confused. When I get to the bathroom I turn on the faucet to cold and put Hermosa in when it was about two inches deep. She whimpers and shivers. Then she realizes she is in water and lapped up a few mouthfuls.

I turn to grab a towel and Ethan is standing there looking confused "What are you doing?" he asks me when I get the towel. I think on how to phrase the next sentence. "I'm taking care of a friend's child and she needed a bath." I say "A cold bath?" he says, not believing my story. "Yep, a cold bath because she was too hot." I inform him.

Hermosa starts splashing in the tub and slips. Then she starts whimpering. I turn and rush over to her and drain the water. I pick her up in the towel and start drying her off. "So how was your visit with Rolf and Adolf?" Ethan asks me.

My shoulders sag and I bow my head. "Adolf died right when I got there. Rolf was made the new Alpha, but he kept pestering me on how to lead the pack. Then he gave me a gift for being such a good friend... his first born pup. She was first born because she was born early, but now she has gotten a fever so that is what I am doing. Helping Hermosa get better from a fever." I say, turning to him "Hermosa is the pup's name." He nods "And is Hermosa, the friend's child you are watching?" He asks, I nod. "Ok. I was going to ask you when you'll say yes but I'll wait till later." He said "Yes about what?" I say confused. "The wedding." I inwardly groan. "Ethan, you know my answer, not right now. If you keep pestering me it will never happen."

Later that day, Ethan tells me he is going to make dinner. "Are you sure you want to make dinner by yourself? You don't want me to help you?" I ask him. "No. I have to know how to cook without you, when you are gone or sick. Plus you have to take care of Hermosa." He said. I had the feeling that he was just trying to get me out of the kitchen for some reason. I shrug and walk over to the table picking up the bottle of warm milk I had made earlier and picked up Hermosa.

At first Hermosa refused the milk but after a little bit of coaxing I was able to convince her to drink it. She squirmed in protest while finishing the bottle. "Good girl," I cooed "see it's not so bad. I know it isn't what you are used to but I can't give you that kind of milk and you need to drink." I realized, as I coddled Hermosa, that I liked having a baby to take care of, even if it was a wolf baby.

I remembered a time when I complained about taking care of George, I now regret making it hard for my mom and dad whenever they had to do anything and they had to leave George behind. In a way George was a little better, he was really quiet even after he learned to talk, and he didn't complain about drinking his milk. Though he did get in a lot more trouble once he found out he could move things.

"Andreina, why do you visit the wolves so often?" Ethan asked a couple days after Hermosa came. "What do you mean 'why do I visit the wolves so often?' It's because they're my friends." I say feeling confused. "It's just you visit them a lot. Can't you stay here a little bit more?" I look at him like he just grew horns. "If you don't want me to visit my friends then how about I stop hanging out with Rosalina too. Would that make you happy too?" he starts looking nervous. "No, that's not what I meant. It's just the wolves are so far away what if something happens to you? I wouldn't know. I just want you to stay closer to the house a little more often." "Jeez, you sound like some over protective father or something. Stop trying to control where I go. I can understand wanting to protect me but this is going overboard. I'm done!" With that I walk out the door.

Foxfireजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें