Prologue

In order to understand where I am now, you need to know how it began.

That day couldn't have been any better. My mom had pointed out that my birthday and Easter landed on the same day, so two days later I should get candy, cake and go to church for Easter. It only happens every seven years so my family and I were going on a vacation to Alaska for my 14th birthday. 

     We had just boarded the plane late that night, when my mom turned to me, her red hair framing her pale, narrow face, "Andreina, will you run back to the terminal? I left my phone there. They should let you back in if you make sure they see you leave the plane. If not, text your dad and he will come get you." As I was leaving the plane, one of the flight attendants started the boring lecture on how to buckle up on a plane, I thought I had more time seeing as we just got on the plane, but I knew I had to hurry.

I run out and say to the person in front of the gate, "I will be right back." I ran over to where we were sitting before we got on the plane. I searched for a second before I find the phone. Then I run back to the plane. I could hear it warming up. The lady at the gate is slowly closing the door. She looked over her shoulder at me and waved her hand urging me to hurry. I run a little bit faster. Once I'm through the gate I slow long enough to thank her for not closing the door on me. Then I kept on running.

    I got back onto the plane right when they are closing the door, they stop to let me through. I got back to my seat and buckle up. I looked over to my baby brother and made sure he is buckled up correctly. At times I could have sworn I was the only person my family who knew how to buckle him. Then I moved the seat so I could get the seatbelt out from under it. Then I got as comfortable as I can with a car seat on one side of me, with my two year old little brother, George, and my fidgety older sister, Sophia on my other side, who kept preening her newly grown tail, and I try to fall asleep.