Chapter 14

"Adolf, was, as his name said, a noble wolf. He took me into the pack. Helped me fit in even though I am a human" I say as I put a hand full of dirt in the hole where Adolf's body lay. "May he rest in peace among other noble wolves." Rolf says next to me, pushing some more dirt into the hole along with the rest of the pack until the grave was full.

It has been about 2 weeks since Adolf died and already Rolf has come up to me four times asking about what he should do for this or how he should handle that, and how he can't ask anybody else being an Alpha and all. Each time I tell him 'Trust your instincts. It's the best thing you've got to lead by.' And every time, his ears perk, he smiles and thanks me. The last time Rolf came up to me, he was about to go on a hunt. "Andreina, I don't know how to lead the pack on a hunt." He said "Oh, I wish Adolf chose someone better at leading, or someone smarter at how to do things." I looked at him thinking he was joking and seeing that he wasn't "Listen, Adolf chose you because the pack trusts you. He also chose you because he knows you will make the right decisions. The only other wolf that the pack would listen to is Jabez and he is to rash and impulsive. You are smart and like I say every time you come, trust your instincts. You can make decisions with your instincts that a wolf using only his head wouldn't be able to. You will do fine on the hunt, I won't be able to join you I have to get ready to go back to Ethan's house. Now go. Go lead your pack." I tell him, encouraging him to do what is best for the pack.

Rolf came up to me right when I was finished packing. He was carrying a bundle in his mouth. "Andreina, you were right, all I had to do was follow my instincts and use my brain and everything would go smoothly. I only had a little trouble with Jabez wanting to be in the front when I had put him on the left flank." He tells me smiling after he put the bundle down. I smile back "Oh, I almost forgot. In thanks for all the advice and for being such a good friend I wanted to give you my first pup. I have had the permission of my mate. Anyway, she's yours, and she doesn't have a name yet, I thought you would like to name her." He says offering me the bundle.

When I pick it up I see that it is a wolf pup. She squirms in my hands until I pet her head then she falls back asleep. "She is beautiful. I know what her name will be, Hermosa. It means beautiful. I will try not to keep her from you. I want you be in touch with her, she is after all part of your family and family is one of the most important things in life." I say grateful that he is willing to give up his first born pup in order to show me how much he cares about our friendship. "Thank you." I give him a hug. "When are you leaving?" he asks me. "Tomorrow. I want to spend one more day with my friend." I tell him "Why? Did you want to get rid of me?" I say mockingly "No, I was just wondering." He says defensively. Hermosa shivers in my arms and I raise my temperature a few degrees to warm her up. "How old is she?" I ask Rolf. He thinks for a moment then says "Two months old." "Why is she so small then?" I say worrying a little bit. "She was born a month early. Her brother was a still born, but her sister came a month late and is bigger than Hermosa and pushes her around a little bit. So it's for the best that we give her to you." Rolf's voice cracking a little bit over the death of his unborn son.

Hermosa shivers again. "I think she has a cold or something she keeps shivering." Rolf walks over to her and puts his nose to her stomach. "No, she doesn't have a cold. She does have a fever though. I. I think you need to go home and help her. Most pups that get a fever here, don't survive. Go, go now before it's too late to save her." The urgency in his voice gets me up and running only slowing to grab my bag. I look back and shout to Rolf "I will let you know how she is soon. Good bye." Rolf shouts back "Good luck and goodbye."