Chapter 5- The Will to Live Gives No Cause to Die

It seemed like a matter of seconds that I was whisked away from the Justice Building and towards the train.  Anders Entifor and I had boarded together along with East Fremiech who seemed to stalk us in his usual creeping manner. Once the doors of the train had been closed, we seemed to have been left alone by the cameras and I sighed, placing my hands atop my head. Anders seemed to be rejuvenated and seemed to feel even better than he had before which almost seemed impossible.

     East also sighed, seemingly exhausted by all the effort he poured into his “performance.” Donning the Capitol accent, he said tiredly, “Welcome tributes. This is where you will be eating, sleeping, and resting for the few days trip to the Capitol. I expect you to get to know your mentor and listen to whatever he has to say.” I had already known who our mentor was. Kadin Blackwell. Kadin had won the 32nd Hunger Games. The man had dark skin and bright green eyes.

     “Pleasure to meet you sir.” Anders said to Kadin with his usual Hunger Games enthusiasm that would never fade. I rolled my eyes. Kadin seemed disinterested, as did all Hunger Games victors. The man went through a lot. I had never seen his Hunger Games, but from his worn expression I could tell it was a hard run for him. Cigarette hanging from his mouth, Kadin approached me. I refused to make eye contact with the man as he bent down and blew a cloud of smoke into my unsuspecting eyes.

     I dare not cough to show him that I acknowledged his presence. I blinked a few times as I started to tear up and my entire eye began to burn. “Are you afraid?” Kadin asked whole-heartedly. I shook my head furiously. “Hmph, when I was sixteen I said the same thing, but then I ended up watching my friend gutted in front of my eyes and then have her head thrown at me.” I closed my eyes and shivered. All of the Hunger Games were extremely violent and uncensored so I was glad I didn’t have to witness that of all things.

     “I’ll let you two spend the day reveling your last moments of freedom before you’re thrown into the spotlight. Tonight I’ll teach you a bit about making an impression on these Capitol freaks.” Kadin said, pointing at East. Turning around, East had made a grumbling noise and walked off to another car of the train. Such bravery Kadin had shown! Very unlike a veteran District Four tribute. “Since you two aren’t going to last very long, there’s no need for any kind of motivational speech.” This man had lost hope in everything. The Hunger Games seemed to take something more than his innocence. There was more than gore that he witnessed.

      Anders was furious at Kadin’s statement. The Hunger Games was his life and some grumpy man wasn’t going to ruin it for him. “Hey! I’m winning the Hunger Games! So you better shut up and keep your opinions to yourself!” Kadin turned around, obviously not standing for this anymore. “Hey kid. When I have some giddy little idiot who has waited his whole life to get killed on television and a stupid shy little girl who can’t even talk for what I have to work with, I know that this year it’s just another two of my tributes dying in the bloodbath!” That was my cue.

     Within a matter of seconds in meeting him, Kadin pissed both Anders and I off. That took talent, generally knowing that I never flew into a rage before. “Don’t you dare ever call me that! You of all people should know how I feel about being here!” Kadin grinned slyly, approaching me and taking his cigarette from his faded chapped lips and pressing it onto my already dirty dress. The smoke rose and hissed as it pressed down on the velvety texture of my dress. I gasped. “So you finally decided to talk. Maybe you’ll last a few minutes in the Arena if you can keep your mouth shut when you need to.” I scowled, attempting to punch him.

         He sidestepped my seemingly slow fist. “Is that the best you can do?!” Kadin laughed. I snarled as I went back up into a normal fighting position and tried to push him over. He barely moved an inch. There was no recoil from the force I inflicted on him and I tried over and over again, him taunting me each time, continuously trying to invoke a reaction from me. I paid no heed to a startled Anders who simply gazed at us with his mouth wide open.