Chapter 18: The Syndicate

*Hansel*

The darkness has left my eyes as soon as the person in question heaved the black sack away from my head. My hands are tied to a chair and the said chair is under a broken ceiling of an old granary barn. Only the authorities of the province has the right to enter this soon-to-be garrison base, and authorities did I mean our Police Chief, SPO2 Contez.

He is standing right in front of me with a sly smile, but reading his micro-expressions, he's totally junked. His hands are fidgeting and sweat is dropping continuously from his forehead. It's not that hot in this barn, nor it is too cold either.

Behind him are two people. One unknown person, and the other is a politician in suit. It's the mayor of this province. My brain raised questions, but kept my cool in front of them.

"Officer Juno." SPO2 Contez called. "Let's get this straight. We already killed your cousin, and if you don't cooperate, the same thing might happen to you."

I looked into his eyes to see if what he's telling is the truth. However, I cannot read anything from the eyes that have been moving around from the start. Is this guy high or what? "How would I believe you? What if you're just scaring me?"

"My colleague killed him. Raped him, even. If only you were there, you could have saved his worthless ass." He grimmly said.

"I don't believe you. That colleague of your is dead. There were only two of you, and Dimito killed him! You took him away before Dimito could come!"

"Are you sure there's only two of us?" He laughed. "We took him out of the house then tortured information out of him. But the slut didn't say anything. So there, we killed him instead."

My eyes widen in realization. I cannot find a loop hole that could say other wise. If Dimito could have taken him away, there's no point of telling me they have killed my cousin in instance that my cousin could have been with me already. But no. They are here, confidently saying they have my cousin killed.

Geddy Karait is dead.

I bowed my head in sorrow as the waterfall of tears begin dropping. My eyes are seeing drops of wet blobs on my jeans, but my resolve to keep my game on the head is still intact. I should extract information from them while I give out fake information. That's the smartest way to go.

"Okay,then." I sniffed. "what do you like to know?"

"A portal." I raised my eyes to look at him in question. What is this about? "A portal to the underworld. I need one. Give me a portal."

So they are The Syndicate that extracted the Ilalim Artificial Sun. And they know we have connections to these creatures.

"How do you know we know?"

SPO2 Contex laughed again. "Well, because like father, like son. Your father and Geddy's father were in this province to investigate about the new drug that has been undetected during the Drug Wars. But alas, Jerry Karait found out about the creatures, but he never found out the connection between the artificial sun and the new drug. But you, you found it out! I'm pretty sure Jerry had a romantic relationship with the king, I mean, I was there, looting the artificial sun. But he never found me out. He's stupid. Unfocused. Too in-love."

I wanted to shout at him. Shut up! Shut up! My uncle was a great detective. His son is a great one, too. They are- were- strong people with hold and control. I swear, I will avenge their death, and to do so, I kept my quiet composure and continued my aimless stare.