Chapter 3: The Tree

Officer Luisa Fina fetched me a cup of hot choco from the vending machine. Officer Karait put a Jacket around my back then patted my head in worry. SPO2 Contez was in front of his desk, scribbling through the computer as he writes my statements.

While we were on the car, Officer Karait whispered to me about what happened a while ago. He saw the tree branches helping us and killed the man who was aiming at me. The surviving criminal was high with pot so when asked about his statements on moving tree branches, he was laughed at. Officer Karait did not say anything about the supernatural, just the fact that we caught them with marijuana and gallons of ammonia and dozens of syringe. They are a part of the syndicate that kidnaps those young women. He reminded me not to say anything about the queer happening and just state the realistic facts.

It was, however, hard to explain my healed critical wounds.

How can I say that I wasn't actually hurt when my uniform has a bullet hole, gashes, and a pool of dried blood?

SPO2 Contez was looking at me now. Waiting for my statements about my healed wounds.

"I- I don't know how I was healed. Maybe a doctor passed by then tended my wounds. I have no other explanations." I said the safest lie ever. The 'I. have. No. Idea.' This lie is always the safest when the other party knows you have a reason to be disoriented.

"Well, this doctor must be a miracle worker. Because for just a few hours you were healed without stitches, scars, or anything." Luisa said.

"Maybe you weren't really hit?" Officer Felix Nostrad said.

"Maybe." I said.

"But that's impossible. We saw your uniform. It was full of blood and holes."

My mind is working hard to find a simple alibi. While I am a smart detective when it comes to reading people's alibi, here I am, can't even come up with a smart one. "I- I don't kn---."

"Guys, Officer Juno is already exhausted. Let's not stress him more, Okay?" Thank God Officer Karait is here. He helped me lift myself and led me to his old Chevy Impala. It was his late father's Chevy Impala. My favorite uncle's Chevy Impala. Uncle Jerry Karait was my father's cousin, and he is my role model, the main reason why I am a detective. I want to solve perfect crimes like he does. But some things happened when he got destined in this province. There was a case he couldn't solve, and as he comes near a conclusion, he mysteriously died. It was a big blow for me and Geddy, and we promised to be police officers when we grow up. We both got positions in NBI, the country's main bureau of investigations, but he chose to be destined in a local province. I don't know his reasons, but I have a feeling that it's about his father's death. Maybe, that's also the reason why my father, the director of NBI, put me here.

I went into the back seat to allow myself to lie down. Officer Karait started the car and we headed back to our place.

"What happened to you there?" Officer Karait asked.

"I met someone. He was..." out of nowhere, a tree branch hit the car's bumper. Officer Karait stopped the car abruptly and picked his gun. After a few moments, he dropped the gun and calmly drove forth.

"I guess that someone does not want you to describe him. Let's just say he healed you, yeah?"

I was scared out of my mind. He was kind. He looks like the type of person who would never do that. Or maybe, it was just really a random tree branch that flew this way. "Y-yeah." I nodded. We were silent the entire way to our house.

Officer Karait cooked the meal for us since he was still worried about my condition. I told him I'm perfectly okay. And besides, this soup has a lot of ginger.