Chapter 17: The Outside

*Hansel*

"To make this plan work, we must go outside, flaunt myself, while you stand by. Is that good?" I asked Araki, putting on my everyday jeans as I leap just to get it in.

"No." He said gently. "I do not feel right just standing by. What if they harm you right away, then I'm not needed to even save you. I have to be beside you."

"No." I retorted. "You're big, and you look like a Russian killer. Just like my previous police partner who was really a killer. They won't take action with you there."

"Then maybe they should not." He answered back, lines forming on his forehead. He sat on our sofa, making it look so small with his big stature. I must say, his muscles and built are pretty impressive, arousing even. But with his consistent disapproval with my plans, I just sighed.

"Fine, then let's get out together, and hope they won't be intimidated. Savvy?" I proposed.

"Savvy?"

"It means, are you good with it."

"Yeah. Savvy."

He stood up from the sofa, giving me a nod with a hard stare. He then reached for my arms, then with it, he pulled me to reach my ear to his mouth. "Wait. We'll be going outside together, with some romantic feelings, though not consented." He blushed, looking beside him, as if avoiding my gaze. I smiled internally when I understood where he's going.

"Yes Araki, it would look like a date. So to make it official, let's call it a date. But if someone I know asks us, let's just say you're my temporary partner until Geddy is found. Savvy?"

"Yes. Savvy."

I drove us out to the city, but near to the police station. As said, I have a hunch that this syndicate is forming near or inside the station.

"How do human dates look like?" Araki suddenly asked behind me, looking like he's walking on eggshells. I don't blame him, though. This seems to be his first time in the human world as a human and this is his first time to bond with a human.

"Well, we eat, watch movies, find a bench and talk about politics." I said happily.

He raised his eyebrow. "We have very different political structures. And also, that sounds very... Casual, if you ask me. It seems like what friends would do."

"Then what do you want to do?" I asked, putting my hand on my hip.

"If it's our first date,then we should go to places that defines us. More like telling the other person how we live our lives." Araki explained.

"Okay then. That's less emotional and less cuddly from what I have in mind, but okay. Besides, I'm already bringing you to my work."

I motioned to our way to the police station, remembering that I should report first before I decide to leave.

"Good morning, Hansel. How are you feeling?" The kind and lovable but tough police officer Luisa Fina greeted me with a cautious smile.

"I'm fine. But I'm going to take a leave today."

"Investigation?" She asked. But I rather not tell anyone that I'd be on look out.

"No. Just a rest."

"I understand." She held my shoulder in a comforting grip. "Now who is this tall and intimidating looking man?"

I looked at Araki still giddy but stoic. His tall wall structure really is intimidating, and he stands out so much in a room full of short Asians. I'm not being racist here, but we are short compared to Westerners.

"This is Arthur Magsimoff. My temporary partner until Geddy is found."

"I see." She nodded. "Good luck, officer Magsimoff. I heard officer Juno is hard to handle. "

I pouted on her comment. Not only Geddy, but the entire station actually thinks I'm a baby. Officer Fina left for her table with those long and strong stride.

"I agree with her." Araki whispered to my ear. "You are hard to handle."

*

We are now walking on a random park near the station after taking a file to leave. The park is an old granary, now made into a boring vast land after all rice granaries are moved to the Northern Regions. The government is not yet selling the land, and rumor has it that it will be another branch of a military camp. With impending war and reviving patriotism, military activities are increasing. Soon, I could be drafted, but that's where my father would take action. He said he will do everything to send me to Switzerland and live peacefully.

Araki is just beside me, looking at the clear blue sky unbounded, infinite. Suddenly, he stopped walking. "What was that?" I followed his line of vision, and saw a white fighting jet, swirling and swirling across the skies.

"Oh that's a P-M7 Unit. But don't concern yourself. Our problem way different from theirs."

"How so?" He inquired.

I smiled at him. Because Hun, this is a chiklit, not a political or military story. I always have an impression that my life has turned into some kind of general fiction thing since I met and chemically fell for a creature of the woods. But maybe, just maybe, instead of a police detective story, i'd choose my life to be a chiklit. I like that. Simplicity.

But no. It cannot be. As I hear a suspicious foot step behind me, I know it cannot be. I tiptoed to reach Araki's cheek and kissed it.

"I'll be going now."

He glanced at me with a worried look, frown and helplessness. I smiled, thinking, 'isn't he so cute, isn't he so strong, isn't he so convenient? '

I went to an opposite direction at the end of the granary path, as I feel his presence tinker behind me. He should not follow me by sight, or stand there to look at me as I leave. I told him that. He understands.

I go I deeper and deeper to the granary path. The people are getting fewer and fewer. The footsteps behind me are getting louder and louder. And at the end of the path, I began to see darkness.