Chapter 6: Jerry

* Geddy *

Hansel Juno is one hell of a genius, but sometimes, I can't help but think how immature he could be. His Father spoiled and sheltered him too much, and the old man just realized the disadvantage it brought him, so he threw him to me for some field experience. It's not like he's failing at his job, he's a good detective, actually, but there are so much circumstance where he could have died because he's not a good shooter, driver, and runner. If not because of his physically skilled partners, he wouldn't be alive today.

Today, he got lost again. He did not show up until 8:00 so we were all worried. The Night shifters are already coming in so it's the Day shifters' time to go home. Hansel, like a big baby he is, is not answering his phone. We were looking for him till 9:00 until Officer Felix Nostrad told us he used a police car. We tracked the GPS right away and found the sucker in the middle of the road right beside the forest he got lost the first time.

To say I was worried and suspicious was an understatement. After his first disappearance, he was acting weird. He was defending this creature he saw in the forest, saying he wouldn't kill him and stuff. I thought he was enchanted so I served him a ginger soup first. But this soup didn't seem to change his mind about his feelings. He even began shouting at me. This has to be something greater, but I have no idea about it. I don't know about these creatures' lives, all I know is that they killed my father.

That night was also the first time I experienced them manifesting to me. When this man in the tree called me as my father and tried to say sorry, I was puzzled. I think I haven't read enough of Dad's journal to know his personal story with these shit-holes.

After the second time he got lost, the shitter named Hansel claimed he does not know anything about the enchanted creatures. He even acted as if it was his first time to see the moving branch. But I thought it would be better if he does not know. I don't need him getting in the way of my plans.

However, today, he acted like a man who lost his lover in war. After seeing his doodle of the enchanted creature, claiming it was only a character from a horror movie we watched together (I don't remember such thing, though), he started feeling empty. His emotions were blank, but he would cry every now and then, telling me he's confused. I tried making him laugh by telling some jokes, he would smile a bit then look at a blank space again.

It hurts to see my usually energetic cousin like that. Besides, his well-being is also my responsibility. If I could only know what's happening, then maybe I could help a little. But the thing is, he does not even know what's happening!

If this really concerns the enchanted creatures, maybe someone could help me. Someone I've been ignoring and killing for the past few days.

The creature in the Acacia tree beside our house.

When I was sure Hansel was asleep, I went to my room and opened the window. I wiped away the salt and ginger powder on the window sill and then I began glaring at the tree. It moved after a while. A portal opened in the trunk of the tree, exposing a muscular and tall man with grey skin and red visible veins on his face. His smile was wide and hopeful. On his right hand is a blue midnight flower he tried to deliver the other night.

The branch adjusted so that he could position himself right in front of me. He smiled again with his marble black teeth and jet black eyes. I wanted to flinch in fear, but I don't want to give him the pleasure. I kept a water gun with salt and ginger powder in my holster in case this bastard wants to twist my body just like what they did to my dad.

"Jerry." He said as he offers the flower to me. "Still angry?"

I flinched. How come he said that as if he and my father were just having a lovers' quarrel? My father was dead, for god's sake! I ignored his offering and he slowly puts his hand down with obvious sadness in his eyes. I don't care, though.