Cory - High Energy

Start from the beginning

I know the chicane is coming up. I prepare for the turn but it appears before I'm ready. I do my best to hold on to my tuck but the g-forces are taking me wider than I want to go. I slip sideways a bit and right myself as quickly as I can. I'll have to make up some time somewhere. I get through the tight turn and decide I need to go for broke. I tuck down as tight as I can go and focus on following the straightest line down the mountain. My speed picks up. It has started to snow at this point and I'm flying blind. It may seem reckless but my body feels one with this course. I'm letting it do its job.

Even though I can't see it, I must be getting near the bottom. I know there's going to be a hill coming up – I need to fly through it but not get too much air as that can slow me down. I worry that I won't time it right. If I'm not prepared for it, I could lose my balance. I try to visualize every centimeter of the course. According to my projections, I need to tuck down now. I prepare myself and there she is. I hit the hill perfectly and I fly. I come down fast and smooth and tuck in for the finish line.

As I cross the line, I can now see and hear the crowd. They're screaming at the top of their lungs. I come to a stop and I see my time. I'm the fastest skier by an entire second. That's an eternity in downhill skiing. I smile and the first person with whom I want to share my joy isn't here. I look around for her and I remember that she is marrying someone else. The screams from the crowd drown out the voices in my head.

"Congrats Cory! Looks like you're back!" John gives a big slap on the back.

"Thanks John. Sorry I took the gold from you."

"Ah, I'm just happy you're back and you made it down in those conditions in one piece. I can't always win. It wouldn't be fair to you." We both laugh and put our arms up in victory. We head to the media line.

"Cory! Cory! How does it feel to come back and win gold in the downhill?"

I catch my breath. I suddenly feel a rise of emotion. I know I'm about to lose it, right here in front of all these inquiring minds and cameras. I try to regain my composure.

"Hi Ann, it felt really good. Really good. The mountain was just perfect," my voice cracks.

"Do you know what's next for you after this Olympics?"

"I've been asked to join the U.S. Ski Team coaching staff."

"Is that what you want?"

"I took some advice from a friend a couple of months ago and I really thought about what I want, and yes, I want to pass on what I've learned to the next generation of Olympic-bound skiers."

"You've come a long way in the last four years. Do you think your brother would be proud?"

That does it. I fucking lose it. I can't even speak. Years of pent up emotion appear on my face. I have to fight hard to keep from sobbing. I grab onto the rope separating me from the reporter for support. I can see the surprise in the reporter's eyes. She's even tearing up. I manage a soft yes and turn away. I tear off one of my gloves to wipe my eyes.

And that's when I see Lainey standing in front of me, waiting for me. I stand in shock, wondering if I'm dreaming. She's crying too. I motion to let her through. She runs up to me. All of the journalists crowd around us.

"Cory-"

Before she can say another word, I take her in my arms. She whispers, "Cory, I'm so sorry. For everything."

I start to uncontrollably sob. My body spasms as all of the emotions of losing Lainey, losing my brother and winning the downhill gold converge.

"Cory, can you ever forgive me? I love you so much." I squeeze her tighter.

The reporters are swarming us now – pushing in to try to record what we're saying.

"What about your fiancé?" I ask.

"I was never engaged. I've never stopped loving you."

I pull away and look into Lainey's eyes. I can see her love for me.

"Please say you forgive me."

"Lainey, I can't believe this. I thought you were marrying someone else." I try to process what is happening – the weeks of sorrow over losing her. Only she's standing here now professing her love for me. My heart takes over and I finally say, "I've always been here, waiting for you. I would have waited forever if I had to."

"I think we've waited long enough, don't you?" We both smile in agreement.

I remove my skis from my boots and lean in real close to Lainey and whisper, "How about another I do?"

"What are you talking about?"

I get down on one knee. The reporters go nuts. They push right up against us.

"Lainey, I don't want to live another second without you. Will you marry me?"

Now Lainey starts crying and she has a hard time speaking. I stand up and say softly, "what do you say? Will you be my wife?"

She nods and says, "yes." The reporters and the crowd roar with support. I pick her up and kiss her with all my love. This is truly the happiest day of my life. Another surge of applause and screams are heard.

"Cory! Lainey! Tell us your plans for the future."

I break from our embrace and grab the nearest microphone. "My plan is to be the best husband to this remarkable woman. I don't know how I got so lucky but I'm going with it." The crowd lets out a resounding "Aw."

"Lainey?" The reporters lean in for her comment.

"I support that goal." Everyone laughs.

"Cory, how does it feel to win gold and your future wife – all in the same day?"

I pull Lainey next to me. "Like I've won gold for the rest of my life."