Chapter 48

Chapter 48

Harry and I hadn't been speaking more than necessary, since our argument. It was two days before the trial and Lo was going with me to get my statement recorded. Harry was suppose to go but he left without saying anything this morning. I wasn't sure if he was even going to show up at the trial. He hadn't mentioned it and I wasn't going to ask.

"Are you ready?" Lo whispered as we sat in the seating area of the attorneys office.

"Yea as ready as I can be. I'm just as nervous as if I was going on the stand" I sighed.

"Well you're not and thats all that matters. So chin up, tell your story and smile as they slam the door closed to his cell" she beamed.

"If only it was that easy" I offered a small laugh.

"Charlie Brooks? Mr. Smith will see you now" a petite blonde held the door open.

I looked at Lo and she nodded.

"It's ok. You will be fine" she smiled.

"Thank you" I nodded getting up and following the young woman through the door.

After talking to my lawyer for over an hour, I found Lo in the same spot waiting.

"How did it go?" She smiled.

"Awful!" I was on the verge of tears and needed to get out of this office.

"What? What happen?" She followed me outside into the cold January air.

"They said I have to testify on the stand! The judge denied the request for a pre recorded statement!" I pushed my hair back feeling a panic attack approaching.

"I thought they said you didn't have to?" She was as confused as I was.

"That is what they said, but the judge is a hard ass and wants me to testify on the stand" my chest felt tight. I had never had an asthma attack but I would imagine this is what it felt like.

"Ok. Ok just breath. We can figure this out." She assured me.

"I don't feel good.." I Held my forehead.

"Ok let's go home we can talk and figure everything out then ok?" She put her arm around my shoulders guiding me to the car.

The drive was silent. Lo didn't know what to say and I didn't either. When we reached the apartment we made our way inside and I laid on the couch.

"I'll get you a drink or something" she walked out of the room.

I felt like I was going to throw up. Liam's smirking face was taunting my thoughts as I tried to think about anything but testifying. My reality started to slip as I felt the tightness in my chest return. If Harry was here I'd ask to use his inhaler. I don't remember Lo coming back only darkness taking over.

Harry's POV

Pushing open my front door. Several voices were heard from the living room.

Who was here?

I rounded the corner setting my bag down. Charlie's dad came into view first.

"Mr. Brooks? What's going on?"

I looked around him to see Charlie laying on the couch. Her head in her mums lap. Her fingers running over her daughters hair as she watched her sleep.

"Let's talk in the kitchen I don't want to wake her" he whispered.

I nodded following him out of the room.

"What happen? Is she ok?"

"She's fine. Sort of.." He rubbed his forehead.

"What? Tell me please" I was starting to worry.

"She met with the lawyer today."

How could I forget? I was suppose to go with her.

"And.."

"They told her she had to testify on the stand. Lo brought her back here. She said she seemed out of it at first. She went to get her a drink and Charlie went into a full on panic attack. Lo couldn't calm her down and called us. When we got here she was crying on the couch. She kept asking for you. We tried talking to her, but It was like she was looking right through us."

I felt like my heart would beat out of my chest. Yet again Charlie needed me and I wasn't here.

"Why didn't anybody call me?" I was more frustrated with myself. They shouldn't have to call me. I should of been there with her.

"We did. It just went to voicemail. Lo left a hundred messages"

I pulled my phone out. It was dead. I had forgot to charge it last night.

"I'm sorry. I should of been there." I tugged on my hair. Frustrated that in my attempts to keep her happy and safe I seemed to only be making her life more difficult.

"She finally fell asleep about an hour ago." He sat down at the table." I wish I could make this go away. She has been through enough. I want that boy to pay for what he's done to my little girl!" He slammed his fist against the table.The man in front of me looked broken and exhausted. His eyes holding so much pain for his daughter.

"He will. Don't worry" I walked back to the living room. Charlie lay in the the same spot. Her small hands gripping her mothers shirt. I finally noticed Lo standing by the window. She looked at me, anger in her eyes.
I deserved whatever she was thinking.

"Glad you finally showed up" she snorted.

"My phone was dead! I'm sorry" I looked away from her death stare.

"Well the festivities are over you can go back to ignoring her like you've been doing" she snapped.

"I wasn't ignoring her! I've just had a lot going on. Lo you don't know shit so just stop being a bitch ok?" She may have been right but I didn't need her attitude.

"Well maybe if you would have gone with her like you were suppose too. She wouldn't be having a fucking meltdown"

"Oh really? Well what kind of friend are you if you can't even comfort her until I get here! You're the only one who knows her better than me and you failed at the one task you had!"

"Hey! Calm down! The last thing she needs is her boyfriend and her best friend fighting" Charlie's mom scolded us. "Lo take a walk. You have been here all day."

Lo glared at me before grabbing her coat and walking out of the living room. I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath when she slammed the door. She was so dramatic.

"You have seat" Charlie's mom instructed.

I sat on the edge of the recliner. Looking at my knuckles that were still bruised.

"Where were you?" She eyed me.

"Class." I lied.

"Until 8pm?" She raised her brow.

"Yea"

"Your lying but I won't ask why."

She was good.

"Are you still testifying?"

"Of course!" I met her hazel eyes. It was like looking into Charlie's.

"If this is too much for you. We can bring her home with us. We have all asked a lot of you and -"

"No! I want her here with me. I'm sorry I just have so much going on and I screwed up. Please just let me fix this" the thought of Charlie not being here instantly created a hole in my chest.

"Ok. I just want to make sure you can handle this. You're both so young and your relationship has been tested in ways it shouldn't be. In such a short time."

"I can handle it." I assured her.

I think.

"Mom?" Charlie looked up at her mother.

"Yea baby I'm here. Are you ok?" She smiled.

"Yea I-"

"Charlie" she turned looking at me. "I'm sorry! I forgot and I should of been with you" she sat up. Eyeing me, before slowly standing from the couch.

"It's fine." The hurt in her voice was obvious. She started to walk out of the room.

"Talk to me please" I begged.

"What would you like me to say?" She stopped.

"That you forgive me."

"For not being there today? Or for the way you've been treating me since we got back from L.A.?"

She was calling me out in front of her mother. Perfect.

"For everything" I stood up.

"Fine." She started to walk away.

"Wait? Where are you going?"

"I think I should stay with my parents for a little while."

My heart sank.