"Me neither. It just did. I'm so sorry Jared. I'm well aware of what will happen. And I take full responsibility for that."

"It wasn't meant to happen like this.", I said looking straight at her.

"I will start looking for a replacement. And Jared?", she said leaving the cup of tea on the table.

"Yes Mirka."

"I have to take today off to sort the issue..."

"I'll come with you. No one has to go through this alone."

I knew it wasn't a good feeling having to do what she had to do. In my opinion she could've kept the baby. But I also was well aware that Shannon wouldn't want that responsibility. And it would fall on me. And I didn't have the time to juggle with that responsibility.

A few days later Mirka managed to fit a couple of interviews in my already filled up schedule. She took it like a professional that she was. My mind was wandering in a million places, the only thing that I couldn't erase from my head was the expression she had when she came out of the clinic. The pain and the confusion. She didn't shed one single tear until she got back to her little apartment.

I stayed in her place that night and told her to let it all out. It pained me to see her in pain. And that was one of the days I thanked God for making me a man.

"Ella Pierce here to see you.", said Mirka announcing the fifth and last candidate of the day.

She looked a little confused so I asked her to come in before she let Ella inside.

"What's wrong?", I said taking Ella's folder from the pile.

"She looks different than the pictures. Very different. I think it's a waste of time."

"Well you chose her."

"Her resume was spotless. Comparing to the other girls she was by far my favourite. But I'm having second thoughts now."

"Well, might as well finish off with this interview as well. I hated the others.", I concluded.

"This is the last one. If she isn't the one then...I really don't know who else would be qualified for this."

"The last one? Are you serious?"

"Very."

"Okay. Let her in."

From the second I saw her I burst into laughter. She was quite tall, with an athletic, yet curvy figure, her dark hair all tied up in a messy bun on top of her head. Her eyes were a deep brown and she felt really uncomfortable to be here.

After a quick browse through her resume I noticed she was very good with numbers, scheduling and managing a business and a lot of various other things. Mirka was right, she looked nothing like her photo. This woman looked broken down. Her clothes were far too big for her, she wore no makeup and she didn't even smile. I also noticed the big dark circles around her eyes and the fact that she gritted her teeth.

"Hello miss Pierce. Nice to meet you. My name is Jared. Have a seat. Tea, coffee, water, juice?"

"Likewise. And nothing. I'm fine.", she said taking my hand into hers.

I noticed the marks on her wrist and immediately realised that I had in front of me someone with major issues and not the woman with the calm, friendly smile I saw in the photo. I decided to give her a chance and hear what she has to say.

"So, miss Pierce, you have a faint idea I hope of what I am looking for.", I said, taking back my seat.

"I do."