Chapter 9

Avery's POV

So here I am. Curled up in my bed with my head (Oooh! That rhymed)on Mackenzie's lap. Red watery eyes and Red nose. Right now, I look like Rudolf the red nose reindeer. I was sobbing for about 15 minutes already and Mackenzie was just there, trying to comfort me. There was no one else in the cabin but us. All of our half-siblings are nowhere to be found near the cabin. I think they're busy... or so that's what I've heard they are.

"Oh c'mon Av." Mackenzie said "Look on the bright side..."

I sat up from Mackezie's lap and wiped the tears on my eyes. I looked at her. I was waiting for her to finish her sentence but she just kept her mouth shut.

"What's the bright side?" I said almost shouting

"Well.... there is no bright side" she said sharply and I just lowered my head. "Oh wait! There is!" she exclaimed and that made me raise my head again and turn my attention to her.

"You said that if Nico's happy.... you're happy right?" she asked and I nodded shyly. "Well... is he happy?" she asked sharply

"I... I think... kinda..." I replied

"Well are you happy for him?" she asked

It took about a second to reply because I don't really know what to answer. Of course I said that and as a best friend (notice how I didn't use his best friend?) I should always be there for him. Whenever he's happy, or sad, or in trouble...  I should always be with him... If he's happy then I'm also happy for him. I'll be there to celebrate his happiness with him. If he's sad I'll be a shoulder to cry on. If he's in trouble, I'll do anything to get him out of it. But right now, I don't know whether I'm happy for him. I shoved that thought away. Of course I'm happy for him. I mean, he's happy with Lexi right? 

"Yeah..I guess I am" I mumbled.

I stood up from my spot and grabbed my back pack. I put it on my back and wiped the remains of my tears from my face.

"Where are you going?" Mackenzie asked

"Out in the city" I said sharply

"Are you sure? Isn't it too dangerous?" she asked worriedly

"Nah. I'll just ask permission to Chiron... I think I need my brother's company" I replied. Mackenzie never said a word again but just gave me a nod and smiled. And with that, I went to the big house, asked Chiron permission and gladly, he said yes. Now I'm on my way to the city.

First of all, I went to my brother's dorm. He doesn't even know I'm visiting him so I was expecting him to be surprised. My feet are dragging me nearer and nearer to his dorm. Half of my body wanted to collapse in his arms, cry and talk about Nico. But the other half? Well, it wants me to just turn around and just stay in an obscure place and never bother Aiden with my little drama. I was about to follow my second thought when it was too late.  There I saw Aiden walking and holding hands with her girlfriend, Gracie.

I managed a smile when I saw them together. I am very happy for my brother. Seeing him having a happy, peaceful.... in short perfect relationship with Gracie made me very thankful to my mother, Aphrodite. A sudden thought stormed in my mind... Would Nico and I be in a perfect relationship like them? Holding hands and never bothered by anyone. Just the two of us, smiling and enjoying ourselves. A little break for us... away from the dangerous world we're living in. No Monsters, No Quests... No Leo Valdez, the moment ruiner.

I was so lost on my thoughts that I was standing there like an idiot daydreaming. I don't want to bother my brother. I took one last look at them. 'Nico and I will never be that way'. As I thought of that, I felt a dewdrop slid down on the fleshy side of my face just below the eye and above the side of my mouth. No it wasn't a dewdrop, it was a tear. I turned my heel around and wiped the salty substance from my cheek.