Confined Spectator

_____________________________________________________________________

Chapter 4: Confined Spectator

Rin trudged through the snow coated ground, her foot prints being the first to appear. She could feel the wetness of the piled up fluff through the broken soles of her shoes.

She had an important task, at hand. In her arms she tightly held a box. Her blonde hair fell into her eyes hiding them from sight. Her head was lowered the tips of her fringe hanging over the box.

She wore her best example of clothing for the occasion. A black dress sewn with patches, some stitches uneven. Nothing matched the same shoes that always adorned her feet, but she still did her best anyways.

It was the exact outfit of which she wore to a previous event, such as the one she was attending now. The only difference, she hadn't been alone then.

No...

Not even that was a difference. A smile painted the face of the young girl, as she travelled on. Her cheeks were wet and glistening, concealing a few scars that never had a chance to go away.

Her feet stopped at the edge of a large over-grown plant. Vines unaffected by the snow encased a large building. From first glance it would come across that the vines were the only thing there. Only someone who dared to venture close enough would see a door secreted in the tangled ivy.

With a shiver Rin reached one hand forward to the door and pushed it lightly. It only creaked but did not open. Her breath became vapor in the air as she put forth a little more effort.

Finally to her satisfaction, the door opened. Being mindful of the vines, she passed through the doorway box and all.

Rin entered into a dusty room, surrounded in flowers. It was here any plant could survive even the harshest of Tokyo's winters. The flora looked somewhat wilted but, otherwise well kept.

Frowning slightly at their neglect, she placed the box on a white table in the center of the building. Its inhabitant nearly fell off. Rin lifted him to safety.

Gathering a watering pot, the girl worked to heal the flowers she hadn't seen in a while. The weather much warmer inside, allowed her to twist on the hose much more simply than opening the door to the greenhouse.

Filling the pot she skipped around and began nurturing the vegetation. She took care to leave a smile with each one. The plants curved up, opening their petals at her presence and soft voice.

After the entire area was sated, with the amount needed, Rin returned to the table and the box.

"I'm sorry, I failed you Annie-Chan"

Rin lifted the box again going to a stone path, she hurried silently down it until she reached a smaller area with fewer flowers. Sinking to her knees she placed the box into an already dug hole.

"Goodbye"

Rin gave the box one last pat.

"Please say hello to Annie-Chan for me Lapis, and tell her I am sorry for not keeping my promise."

She closed her eyes briefly then began to pile dirt upon the box that held her dear broken-beyond-repair doll.

A few dirt grains coated her black dress, as she finished the toys funeral. She then faced the less soiled bear sitting on the patch of grass where she had placed him before burying Lapis.