Swelling Vanity

____________________________________

Chapter 3: Swelling Vanity

 "There you are!"

A blonde girl in a white bow, two-times too big for her, turned to the voice A huge smile broke across her face as she saw her young-looking grandmother

"Annie-Chan!!!"

In one fell swoop she picked herself up out of the snow and threw herself at the fair-haired woman. Ann caught Rin in her arms laughing lightly at the three year olds excitement.

"Why aren't you inside?"

It was her party after all, she should be inside enjoying it with the guests. Then again Rin never really got along well with other children, keeping to herself most of the time.

"Hmm?...Well the flowers looked lonely, so I came out to say Hello"

Ann blinked at the odd statement but smiled nevertheless. Rin had a way of bringing a smile to people's faces. It was a sort of an unintentional gift.

Rin tilted her head, the bow nearly engulfing her. It had been a birthday present Ann bought her the year before. Ann had meant to give her an orange one, seeing as how it was Rin's favorite color. Circumstances had been that her preferred color was not available.

However, the way that Rin's eyes had sparkled when receiving the white bow the previous year, told Ann that she had made the right choice. The girl almost never took it off.

Ann was shaken out of her thoughts noticing some roses in front of her.

"For you Annie-Chan!~"

"Why Rin ...they they're...H-How did you manage to get flowers its winter?"

Rin tapped her cheek thinking, "They were growing in that house over there"

She pointed eagerly to a green house a little ways from the mansion but still part of the grounds. Judging by the amount of vines encircling it, it did not look like her parents cared to much for it. But a child of three entering a place like that? Preposterous! She had to be lying.

But Rin never lied

"What's wrong? Do you not like them?"

Rin was worried by the expression on Ann's face. Quickly Ann switched it to a happier one.

"Of course not! I was just thinking....I have something for you"

Rin blinked again "Something... for me?" She pointed to herself in confusion.

Did she not know it was her birthday? Ignoring the arising thoughts and suspicions, Ann pulled a box from the folds of her clothing. She was lucky the two others had not found it when they met earlier.

Ann handed the box to Rin, who stared at it unmoving. Her large azure eyes flicked back and forth to the box and Ann.

"Open it"

Ann spoke gently; Rin looked around her wearing a still-confused expression.

"What about...Lily and Oliver?"

Rin didn't see any other boxes, if her grandmother had brought her a present surely she had brought all of them one. Wasn't that the fair way?

"They don't need anything"

Ann hadn't meant for her reply to be so cold, she flinched as she saw tears gathering at the edge of her youngest grandchild's eyes. But, she wasn't near crying out of fear, but of sadness for her siblings.