The Man Like the Sun

Start from the beginning

No. He didn't mind this at all.

He then swept his arm forward, and let it stay there for (Y/N) to walk ahead and sit first, "Shall we?"

You walked forward and sat on the rock by the waterfall, scooting over some for Shanks to have his own seating space as he sat down next to you. Another warm feeling spread throughout your chest as his shoulder grazed yours as he was fixing himself to sit down.

This feeling...its increasing. You thought in wonder. You felt your chest flutter when you heard his laugh from your small joke. You wanted to hear it more. Everything about Shanks...reminded you of something... Something that you can't quite put your finger on just yet.

Once Shanks was situated, he turned his head towards you in a soft smile.

"Let's see...how can I explain this..." Shanks eyes lit up in an idea and raised his index finger towards. "Oh! I know! Think of the person who's always been with you throughout your life! Who always protected you, and you did the same to them. Who you think you will always give your life to protect them."

Smoker.

You didn't even have to pause to think.

You saw Shanks tilt his head at you, brows furrowed.

"Smoker? Oh, is that who you thought of?"

You widened your eyes and flushed in embarrassment. You didn't even realize you said your dear friend's name out loud. But you nodded all the same, looking down at your lap in remembrance.

"Ya...he's a friend...a dear friend of mine that I trust with my life. He was the first to believe in the dream I had. Even if I was..." You trailed off and stopped, not sure if you want to continue and tell Shanks what you are. You internally shook your head, and moved your eyes towards the patiently waiting Shanks.

"He didn't care if I was a pirate's daughter. All he saw was me wanting to be a marine. That alone...made me happy."

Shanks rose a curious brow, then internally shook his head. They could talk about that at a later date. However, Shanks saw the look into your eyes as you spoke, and felt a pang in his chest. That look...those warm eyes as you spoke about this man. The red head wonders if you even realize it. He smiled down at you in approval.

"That's Nakama. He's your Nakama. And you are his." He said softly, voice in a whisper only for you to hear even though the both of you were already alone. You swallowed, and looked up at him shyly.

"Then...are we Nakama?"

Shanks fully turned towards you, and in that moment, the sun was behind his head, giving him a glow as he gave you a smile. You sucked a breath.

That smile.

"Why, of course we are!"

In that instance, as you looked at him mesmerized, not able to look away from that beautiful pure smile that makes you instantly warm, that you figured out what he reminded you of. You stared at him. Looked at the person who brought you out of the dark, and into the light again. Who saved you when he didn't have to, that brought you back to life again with that shining smile. That shining and glowing smile with those warm kind eyes that always looked at you in attention. Your mother's soft melodic voice came into your head once again.