6: Wishful Thinking

Start from the beginning

Andy: Oh, I'm sorry.

Sophie: No, it's OK. We have moved on.

Although it still hurts at times.

Andy: But I assume you share a happy home with your family as you are still all together.

Sophie: We have this so-called "strong family ties" tradition in our country. We really have no legit rule that we need to move out and be independent when we reach a certain age. Families are intact up to the 3rd degree of consanguinity even up to the in-laws.

Andy: Another interesting fact about the Filipino culture :)

Sophie: Actually, my Dad has been encouraging me to move out so I could have a taste of life being on my own. I have so many good memories here at home and I'm not yet ready to get away from my comfort zone, I guess. That time will come, though.

"Ano pinaggagagawa mo diyan sa laptop mo, huh?" Bigla na lamang sumulpot si Marcia sa tabi ko. "Oh, anong website iyan? Nasa chatroom ka ba, Ate?"

Lumayo ako nang bahagya at ibinaba nang kaunti ang screen ng laptop, para hindi siya makasilip sa mga sinusulat ko.  Pilit na ngiti ang ibinato ko sa kanya. "Yup, some kind of social network that I saw just yesterday."

Kumunot ang noo niya at para bang naghihintay pa siya ng mga susunod kong sasabihin.

"Get over it, Marcia. Huwag nang matanong. Just get some fleece blankets for the kids before they feel cold." When I use my authoritative voice at her, agad naman siyang nakikinig. It always works. This is a perk of being the older sister.

Andy: I live with my cousin and we share a rent in a two-bedroom apartment near our workplace. It's a very convenient 15-minute drive to and from work, and it's the same pad I live since I step foot in the university.

Sophie: And you go to your hometown on the weekends?

Andy: Most of the time, yes.

Andy: As I'm a guy who doesn't cook, I'm pretty tired of take-out meals and ready-to-cook food. It has always been this way ever since I moved out. My cooking is horrible, just so you know! I can only delight on authentic home-cooked meals when my cousin cooks, which rarely happens, and on occasions that her girlfriend prepares food for all of us when she comes or sleep over.

Sophie: Doesn't your girlfriend cook for you?

Nice Sophie! Para-paraan na lang para malaman kung taken na ba siya.

Andy: There's no girlfriend to cook for me.

Oh my gosh, he's single!

Sophie: How about in the past? Never did a girlfriend prepare meals for you?

Andy: My ex-girlfriend never cooked, and it seems it neither interested her.

Sophie: If I live nearby I'd be bringing in food for you everyday!

Andy: Haha!

Andy: You know what, I've recently met a girl online who mentioned to me that she wants to see The Cotswolds. I'm wondering when she's planning to visit England because a starving guy next door is looking forward for the food that she'd be bringing in. I heard she's a professional Ch
ef as well.

Andy: Can you be my new neighbor?

Can I be your new girlfriend? Tanong ko sa kanya pero sa isip ko lang, at sa hanggang isip ko lang ito kayang tanungin. My inner heroine is forcing me to type it NOW! I just shook my head and type my reply.