A Birthday and A Proposal

JACOB

Today was Renesmee's third birthday. The party was in the backyard of her cottage, and it was actually a big turn out.

Well, for the people who knew about her special condition.

A lot of kids from her school were over, along with the pack. Charlie was completely an outlier in the mix, but was content with Sue by his side.

I had to admit, they were good for each other. They made each other happy, and I know Bella was so relieved that her dad found love. As was I. More so for Sue, though. She deserved Charlie as did Charlie her.

Currently, I was helping Edward set up a piñata that Renesmee and the kids were going to play with closer to the end of the party. I was tying it to the tree when Edward cleared his throat. "Can I talk to you for a second, Jacob?"

"I mean, yeah. It's not like I'm doing something that requires my attention." I said sarcastically.

"You and Renesmee," Edward continued. "Seem to be around each other a lot more."

"Really? Hadn't noticed."

"Enough with the sarcasm! Now, why are you two so...close?"

"Maybe because we're friends?"

"What exactly did you two talk about yesterday?"

"Nothing," I stopped working with the piñata, and faced him. "Just life, you know."

"Jacob, I don't really appreciate your tone with me. Renesmee is my daughter."

"And she could be my future wife. Have you thought about that?"

"What's going on over here?" Alice asked, coming out of nowhere.

"Jacob here is about to get punched." Edward said angrily.

"Why?"

"Just because I told him Renesmee and I might get married one day."

Alice rolled her eyes. "It's going to happen, Edward."

"What?" Edward acted as if this was news to him.

"I had a vision, Edward. Jacob and Renesmee will end up together. I don't know if it's going to be technically marriage, but they'll be together. And you're going to like it. I saw that!"

Edward shook his head. "Things could change."

"What's going on?" Renesmee walked over to our little squabble, standing beside me.

"Ask your dad." I told her.

"What's Jacob talking about, Daddy?"

"Nothing, sweetie. Go have fun."

"Is this about Jacob and I's relationship?"

"You can say that," Edward sighed. "Renesmee, do you see yourself with this werewolf?"

"I don't look at him as a werewolf," She crossed her arms over her chest. "He's my friend and protector. I love him, no matter what he is, Daddy."

"Renesmee, maybe this is just the imprinting talking..."

"Are you kidding me?" I demanded. "The imprinting has nothing to do with this!"

"How do you know, Jacob?" Edward shot back.

"Edward, be intelligent for one moment in your life! I've told you how the imprinting works. I'm there for Renesmee, for whatever she needs me for. It has nothing to do with that type of love."