Silent Treatment

JACOB

OK! I know that I shouldn't have said that we were celebrating Nessie's first kiss, but I was simply joking. It's like no one finds anything I say funny nowadays. Then again, I'm an eighteen year old werewolf who was in love with a girl, who ended marrying a vampire at the age I am now. Not to mention, the girl later became a vampire a month later, and had a child who is half vampire, half human. So, you shouldn't blame me for trying to joke every once in a while with this crazy experience.

To say that Renesmee ended up talking to me after our argument, will be a complete lie. The girl has literally been giving me the silent treatment. Seriously, I said hi to her one day, and she simply walked away as if she didn't hear a thing. What did I do? She's known me literally her whole life, she just can't not talk to me. Can she?

I decided to pay her grandfather, meaning Charlie to be exact, a visit. I hadn't seen him in a while, and was hoping he could give some insight on my situation. Unfortunately, I was absolutely wrong.

Charlie laughed when I told him my predicament. "I can't help you, kid."

"Why not? She's your granddaughter!"

"You spend more time with her than I do, Jacob. You basically live with her."

"Not true. Edward won't let me sleep in the cottage." I crossed my arms over my chest.

Charlie laughed again. "I believe that. But Jake, you really have to stop saying stuff without thinking about it. You keep doing that, and it's getting annoying to Renesmee."

"I can't help it," I sighed. "I mean she's dealt with me and my personality for two years, it shouldn't be any different from when she was a baby."

"Seems to me you just answered your own question."

I hunched my eyebrows together. "How?"

"She was younger, Jake. She's like ten now in a way, and her feelings and thoughts are a lot more mature then they were back then. Now, I don't know everything about women, but I do know that sometimes you have to think before you say something. Believe me, Sue and I have many bouts of this ourselves."

"How are you guys doing anyway?" I asked.

"I'm thinking of asking her to marry me," He sighed. "I mean, if...you know...she's ready."

"Whoa, Charlie!"

"Yeah, I know," He waved it off. "Don't tell Bella. I was going to call her later today, and get her opinion."

"She's going to be happy about it just like I am. She wants you to be happy, to be honest, Charlie."

"I know she does. I appreciate it too, but I'm still worried about her."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"She hasn't been herself, lately." Charlie shook his head.

"She seemed fine to me." I shrugged.

"I would know if something was wrong with my daughter, don't you think?" He sighed. "I'm just...worried about her. She seems really distant."

"I wouldn't know why, she's been so happy about Renesmee lately. Edward's still being a good husband, which I'm still trying to figure out, but I don't think she's distant."

"Maybe because I'm getting old." He sighed.

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "Old? Charlie, you're like forty something, that's not old by any means. My dad is getting up there, but you're not even at fifty yet!"

He gave a hearty laugh at that. "Thanks for the persuasion, Jake. But I won't be here forever, and I have a feeling Bella will be here even when she's past eighty. Immortal, in a way."