THE BAND'S RENTED HOUSE

Dire Circumstances had a two week break between the Forum and the Teen Choice Awards, so they took the opportunity to make the most of it. Usually they all would go to a park or skate park, but Gabby and Delaney went walking while Jesse and Tony played sports or sang and drummed for people's entertainment.

Becky stayed at the house, mostly. Partly because she didn't want to leave, and partly because her hypoglycaemia was messing with her again.

Grant was her main reason for staying behind; he visited a lot, and Becky had a blast with just hanging out with him.

Grant came in on a Friday afternoon, and was surprised to see Becky sitting up on her bed, obviously strumming a guitar. Yet it was an acoustic guitar, which he didn't know that she could play.

"Knock knock," he said, rapping his knuckles on the doorframe

Becky smiled. "Come on in, Grant. You don't have to ask anymore."

"It's still polite, so I do ask." He sat down next to Becky. "I didn't know you could play an acoustic guitar."

"I can play any guitar."

"That's sick," Grant said as she put away the instrument. "You can play any guitar. But tell me, why are you just fiddling around with an acoustic guitar?"

"It's my Dad's." She zipped up the case and sat down beside Grant. "And he wanted me to play it regularly. But I can't - especially right now."

"Why not?" Grant asked.

"My head hurts."

"And how is that affecting your ability to play?"

She shrugged. "Personal issues. But I'm not sharing, so don't give me that puppy dog face that you kept trying on me in high school."

"What face?" Grant said.

"The one I'm bout to slap if you don't move."

"What? What do you mean--"

"I want toast and coffee. So move."