BILLBOARDS

PART THREE - THE INTERVENTION (pt. 3)

Grant was surprised by Becky's reply, and the fact that she was leaning her head on his shoulder like she was tired. Idiot, of course she's tired! he told himself. She literally just performed with Katy Perry and nearly had a panic attack! Why would she not be tired?

Grant knew that everyone was watching, and it made him feel self conscious about his words and actions. So they sat there for awhile in complete silence, until they heard Katy say, "I think you need some alone time. You have five minutes to work things out. Then we'll come back on camera.... Okay guys, now we can go to commercial."

They both let out a sigh of relief when the commercial music began to play. Grant was glad because he could talk more openly, but Becky was glad just because no one could see her if she freaked out.

"Goddamn," Becky said. "That was the most uncomfortable ten minutes of my life." She laughed tensely. "If Cara wasn't famous and British, I would so kill her for this."

"What does being British have anything to do with killing her?" Grant asked.

"She's British, Grant. Americans don't kill British people. It's just morally and mentally illegal. It's like if you're an animal lover, and then you kill a puppy just because it did something bad. Messed up. Not officially illegal, but socially illegal."

"Your example is killing puppies?" Grant said in mock disbelief.

"It's the only thing I could think of, okay?" She playfully socked him in the arm. "Don't take things so damn seriously. It's not like I go out and kill puppies, Grant."

"I know, I was messing with you. You have like four dogs, Becks. You'd be mentally disturbed if you had four dogs and killed puppies."

"What the fuck, Grant?!" Becky said, hitting him again. "Worst joke ever."

Grant smiled and shrugged. He had Old Becky back, which felt good to him. "You've done worse."

"Have not!"

"You killed us with your bomb puns. And your grocery puns. And your food puns. Overall, your puns in general were just horrible."

"No sense of humor in this one," Becky said.

"Whatever, Becks."

"There's no 'whatever.' My puns were great."

"Like the groceries puns you kept making that one time when we went shopping for your mom?"

"Yes!" Becky hit his shoulder.

"Really," Grant said, skeptically raising his eyebrows. "You held up a water bottle and said 'water you doing?' Then you said 'slow down my legs are like jelly' when you had some grape jelly. Then you held up an orange and then said 'orange you glad I'm here with you?'"

"Okay, they weren't all that bad."

"You ended by showing me a block of cheese and saying, 'are these getting too cheesy?', then showed me a tortilla and said, 'okay, that's a wrap' after I told you to shut the hell up."

"Okay, maybe they were a little bit--"

"It stopped being 'a little bit' after an hour."