40: Melissa and Stiles

Start from the beginning

"How is that possible?" I ask suspiciously.

"I don't know," Deaton shrugs.

"As for me believing in the Emerald Sea, yes, I do believe in it. Your parents were the ones who told me about it. They believed that the Emerald Sea exists as well." Deaton adds. I nod in understanding.

"Do you know the coordinates?" I ask hopefully.

"Stiles, are you crazy? You heard what Deaton said. It's possibly just a story. Or, if it isn't, only one merperson has come back alive! Even then, they were never the same after going down there!" Malia exclaims.

"It's too dangerous. There are many stories of horrible, horrible creatures that live in the Emerald Sea. There are also stories that say that you can literally be swallowed up by the darkness, never to be seen again. Scott wouldn't want you to do this. It's practically suicide!" Kara shakes her head in disbelief.

"None of you have to come with me. In fact, Kara is the only one that really can come with me, unless Deaton could whip up some potion to make you breathe underwater." I begin to explain.

"I can do that if you really wanted me too." Deaton informs the group.

"You can do that?" Malia asks, sounding impressed.

"Look, my point is that Scott is going to die without the antidote. I don't think I could live with myself if he dies, knowing that I could have done something about it. I have to try, anyway. I know Scott would do the same for me." I continue. Kira and Lydia walk over to me, eyes full of sadness. "Stiles, please don't do this." Lydia starts.

"We love you too much to lose you. Also, if you die, then Scott will definitely die, giving us double the pain and grief." Kira tries to change my mind.

"Promise me if I don't make it back in five days that you will search as hard as you can for another way to save Scott. You can't lose hope." I tell the two girls as I clasp onto their hands. They pull me into a hug. I can feel their bodies shaking from their sobs. Eventually, we pull apart. They wipe their eyes. I look around and notice that everyone else is looking teary or extremely sad. I walk over to Kara. "I will go with you then," Kara says bravely. I shake my head. "No, Kara, you can't. You need to stay here and be with Isaac. I want you to protect the pack if any ocean type dangers come your way. I know you can do it." I smile.

"But you can't go alone." Kara protests in a whisper.

"I'll be fine." I assure her.

"How do you know that?"

"I don't." Kara pulls me into a huge hug.

"God, you can be such an idiot, Stiles." Kara laughs mid-hug. Eventually, we pull away.

"I'm not going this minute, you don't all have to get super emotional just yet." I say, trying to comfort my friends. They all nod in acknowledgement. I turn to Deaton. "Where is the Emerald Sea supposedly located? How far down will I have to go for the elken?" I ask. I grab out my phone and type down all of the information that Deaton tells me. I'll need to study it for a while so I can memorize it.  I can't exactly take a phone underwater. "Okay," I nod as I finish taking notes.

"I think I'm going to call Melissa. She needs to know about Scott." I tell the others before walking out of the room. I dial Melissa's number. She picks up on the eighth ring. "Stiles? Why are you calling me at almost three in the morning?" Melissa answers tiredly. My heart rate suddenly increases. A bead of sweat trickles down my forehead. I try to speak, but nothing comes out. "Stiles, are you okay?" Melissa asks worriedly. My breathing comes out shaky as I try to hold back more tears. "Talk to me, Stiles. What's wrong?" Melissa asks again. I hear movement in the background, so I assume she's getting up. "It's about Scott." I finally reply.