This Ain't A Scene, It's A School Play Goddammit

In honors English we were discussing how we were doing a certain characterization when we read Romeo & Juliet which is where I got the idea for this from (in a general idea).

Frank

Honestly, really don't want to be here in the drama classroom, waiting out in the halls with the drama kids waiting for the directors of the schools performance to call them in as the last kid walked out with high hopes in their eyes, soon to be crushed when they realize that they won't be in it unless you're an actual drama kid. Honestly, why don't they just give rolls to those students? It's so stupid and it gets people excited that they might be apart of the school play only to have it ripped away from them in two days time.

The only reason I was even here was because my fucking mother always complained how she never saw my performances in elementary school because I refused to tell her when they were. Now it's senior year so if I at least embarrass myself in this goddamn play, I won't be here to hear it carried on to next year.

Thank fuck.

Honestly, they said to recite one of your favorite old English works from a writer or poet with as much passion mustered possible. The performance that the drama department decided on this year was The Grimm's Brothers fairytales version of Hansel and Gretel.

Warning parents, don't bring your kids.

As soon as a boy with black, almost shoulder length hair that framed his chubby, cute face walked out with a slight blush and hands clasped in front of him, Jamia Nestor, the president of the drama club, called me into the room. With one big breath, I went in, scurrying to the stage.

Lindsey Ballato (sassy Vice President and also Jamia's girlfriend) gave a reassuring smile my way. "You ready Frankie? Your moms nagging finally getting to you?" Lindsey asked, flicking one of her pony tails across her shoulder. I could only sigh before nodding, Jamia then deciding to intervene.

"What are you going to be reciting for us, Frank? What role are you trying out for?" Jamia asked, giggling as Lindsey very 'discreetly' ran her hand up Jamia's thigh under the table they were seated at. I made a gagging noise before smiling at my two friends.

"I honestly have no idea what part, you can decide that Jams. I'm going to recite Robert Frost's poem 'Birches'." I replied, nerves wracking my body. My lips were being gnawed by my teeth as Jamia wrote it down before giving a reassuring smile. I took a breath before speaking.

"When I see the birches... swinging left to right."

I started out weakly, cursing myself before closing my eyes tightly and going for it. I cleared my voice and spoke in the most powerful voice I could muster.

"When I see birches bend to left and right
Across the lines of straighter darker trees,
I like to think some boy's been swinging them."

I started in a voice softer than intended.

"But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay
As ice-storms do. Often you must have seen them
Loaded with ice a sunny winter morning
After a rain."

I tried again, voice starting to gain volume as I opened my eyes slowly, starting to walk around the small stage.

"They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun's warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust—
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen."