Rachelle watched Liam swallow the food in his mouth and waited for him to answer.

     “Well,” he began. “Judging from what I know about those two, I don’t think it’s in their characters to cheat on a relationship.” He took another bite. “Unless of course, I’m wrong with my assessment.”

     Rachelle shook her head.

    “No, you’re right. Those two would be faithful even if it killed them.” She forked down a small part of her cake then placed it in her mouth. The moment she finished with it, she resumed their conversation.

     “I just thought that maybe there was something holding them back. Like a past love or a ‘could-be’ love. You know what I mean?”

     “You’re overanalyzing again,” Liam snorted. “Maybe this time we shouldn’t meddle. You have a bigger problem, after all.”

     “Hmph. Don’t remind me.”

     “If you wish,” Liam shrugged.

     Perhaps at the back of Rachelle’s mind she wanted to concentrate on Nick and Grace because she didn’t want to remember her problems. She was still trying to come up with a reason for the break up when she suddenly remembered something and her head snapped up. Liam looked back at her attentively.

     “My mom’s available tonight. Do you think we can finally have dinner with her? She definitely wants to meet you,” she told Liam with an excited smile.

     “Let me check my schedule.”

     She observed him as he took out his phone and saw his expression change from expectant to disappointed.

     He looked up and said regretfully, “I’m sorry, Rach. I need to call my dad tonight regarding tomorrow’s business with the trading company.” 

     She gave him a close-lipped smile and said, “Okay.”

     I wonder when he’ll be available for my mom, Rachelle thought, disheartened.

     He must have realized how upset Rachelle was as he took one of her hands and kissed it softly.

     “I promise I’ll make sure I’m available next time,” he assured her with a smile.

     She savored the feeling of having him hold her hand as they gazed lovingly at each other. He began to caress it softly too and she wished the moment wouldn’t end.

     “I love you, Liam.”

     “I love you too. More than my life.”

      Rachelle’s breathing calmed down as his words resonated in her mind.

     He really was all I was asking for. Dear God, you’re not taking him away from me too, are you?

*****

     It was hell. Grace’s life in the past three days, that was. Thursday, she had to deal with the revelation that the person she loved was in love with someone else. And with Rachelle Harlow, at that. How could she possibly compete? Friday, everyone found out that she and Nick was no longer an item. How they knew about it was beyond her. Saturday, she was so distracted that she caused several accidents at her part-time job in McDonald’s. All in all, she was ready to burn in heartache and embarrassment.

      She got off the train at the Cultural District Station, intent to make herself look cheerful before she faced her parents and brothers. They knew she had personal problems but they never questioned her about it. As usual, they trusted her enough to know when she could finally tell her family everything. Sometimes, she wished they would force her to tell them what was on her mind. That way, she wouldn’t have the chance to panic because she had no choice.