Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

     “Frankly, looking at you a while ago was enough to break even my heart. If you really do love her, you shouldn’t let fear take over. You’re a good guy, Nick. And she’s your best friend. She may have Liam now but really. Keeping it inside you couldn’t be doing you any good. I don’t know how you’re going to do it but I’m sure telling her would make your life easier.”

     Nick took a deep breath. He was expecting Grace to lash out at him and blame him for everything and here she was telling him to go and be happy with someone else even though it was breaking her heart. His guilty conscience began to take over and tears formed in his eyes. He was wrong to hurt her. By god, he was wrong.

     He gave Grace a small nod and she smiled despite her tears.

     “Goodbye, Nick.”

     She began to walk and for a moment he thought she would look back. But she didn’t.

     “Thank you,” he whispered. Knowing that Grace understood him more than he thought she did.

*****

     “I haven’t been able to talk to Grace since she and Nick broke up,” Rachelle told Liam Saturday afternoon while walking around the H&G for their date. She decided to brave the public despite all the things that had happened to her these past few days. Everyone heard of her ‘vacation leave’ from modeling because of the scandals, and stares followed her everywhere she went. Liam told her to simply ignore them—and she did.

      It was a bit better in school because the students had a lot to talk about besides her. Nick and Grace, in particular. Everyone seemed to be making up or spreading stories about the break up, some of them saying that they never really dated. Rachelle, for one, wanted to know the entire truth. Nick wouldn’t discuss it and he seemed to prefer not talking to anyone, not even Matt.

     She sighed.

     “I feel so bad for encouraging those two to be together and now I couldn’t even do anything to help them,” she said with a pout.

     “It’s not your fault, Rach. Stop trying to carry everyone’s burden,” Liam replied as he took her hand to lead her inside a pastry shop.

     “I know, I know. It’s just that, well, I was hoping I’m the only one with a big problem. I mean, why does everybody else need to suffer too?” Rachelle replied as they fell in line in front of the dessert display.

     “I guess we can’t expect everything to turn out the way we want to.” Liam took out his wallet, ready for their upcoming purchase. “What are you having?”

     “Blueberry cheesecake, please. You?”

     “Brownie a la mode.”

     Liam placed their orders and as soon as they got their tray ready, went on to a table by the window.

     They ate their desserts quietly for a few minutes then Rachelle began to slow down, immersed in her thoughts. She saw Liam staring at her and she raised an eyebrow.

     “What?”

     “What are you thinking?”

     “Huh?”

     Liam pointed towards her hand, holding the fork a few centimeters from her plate.

     “You practically stopped eating. What’s bothering you?”

     She then dropped her fork and gazed intently at Liam.

     “What if there’s a third party?”