Chapter Nine: Boy Problems

My leg brushed Adrien's, making my skin tingle.

I stared out the window, watching houses pass by, the night air making the city's lights glow. Nothing was really open at this time, except for a fancy bar over my the Eiffel Tower, but that was it. Nathalie had rolled up the backseat panel, giving Adrien and I privacy.

I thanked her for that, but at the same time we didn't really need it.

I snuck a look at Adrien, and I noticed him staring at his feet, hands clenched together. I put my hand on his knee, and he looked up. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Oh...Nothing," he replied, his fingers untwining. "I...I was just thinking of something that I've been procrastinating on at school."

I knew he was lying, but I didn't want him to feel even more uncomfortable than he already was. So I drew my hand back, and Adrien laid back on the seat, taking a deep breath in and then out. I looked at the floor, trying not to stare at his chest inflating and deflating.

I felt him look at me. The burning sensation down my back, the shift in the corner of my eye. Curiosity took over and I looked over at him, and he smiled. I tried smiling back, but only the corners of my mouth twitched, my body too focused on blushing.

"I...never got to thank you," I said, smiling a little to myself. "I was too focused on my own actions that I didn't realize it had been really sweet of you to stand up for me like that."

"Ah, that was nothing," said Adrien, swatting a hand. He then looked at me with emerald eyes and put an arm around my shoulders. I tensed at first, but then softened. "I just hate it when Chloe does that."

"Why are you even friends with her?" I spat, a little too quickly. I hadn't thought about what I had just said, and I winced, covering my mouth. I looked up at Adrien, and I could feel the muscles in his arm tense.

"I-I'm sorry..." I said. I knew that Chloe had been Adrien's first real friend, and that would always affect why he was nice to her most of the time. "I didn't mean it. I didn't think that through."

"It's fine," replied Adrien flatly. I knew it wasn't true, his muscles were still tense. But even after I said it, he kept his arm on my shoulders for some reason.

I looked down at my feet, shame burning through my skin. After a few moments, I felt Adrien's arm soften, and I looked up at him once more. He was looking out of the window on his side, and I couldn't help but to stare at his face.

His hair was a little messier than usual, reminding me of Chat Noir's tousled hair. His eyes were soft, reminding me of a meadow in the morning. My heart leaped in my chest as I realized that Adrien was pulling his arm around me, pushing me more into his side.

Before I knew what I was doing, I grabbed Adrien's hand lightly. He didn't seem startled by the action, and just twined his fingers with mine. I leaned into his chest, feeling the soft and warm breaths Adrien was breathing.

We stayed like that, no movement except for the constant rhythm of Adrien rubbing my knuckles with his thumb. I never wanted to let go, so I closed my eyes once more.

Suddenly, the car stopped, and the backseat panel rolled down. Nathalie looked at us, and I flushed red, quickly pulling away from Adrien's embrace. I had almost forgotten that we weren't alone. I could see Nathalie smirking playfully.

"We're here," she said. "You two break it up, and Adrien, like a gentleman, will walk Marinette up to her house."

Adrien got out of the car first, and I opened my car door. He was standing outside of the car, and offered his hand once more for me to get out. I took it, smiling up at him the whole time. Luckily, I didn't trip this time.