Chapter Thrity | New Command

"Never open the door to a lesser evil, for other and greater ones invariably slink in after it."

~Baltasar Gracián, The Art of Worldly Wisdom

>>•<<

"Megatron is no more. And Jack has succumbed to the evil that is anger and vengeance."

The base was silent as Optimus walked through the Groundbridge, his steps slow and solemn. In his arms he carried Megatron, or his husk at least, and carefully maneuvered him to an empty corner of the base, not having the spark to leave him there to rust regardless of their lack of room for him.

"Jack . . . Did this?" Ratchet voices the question on everyone's processor.

Optimus nodded, speaking in a softer tone that usual. "Yes. He first wounded Megatron and then destroyed his spark." He paused, before continuing. "I almost believed that in doing so Jack saved himself. But it seems that Megatron's corruption had already spread throughout, and after learning about the loss of his mother, Jack has become bent on revenge."

Miko was ever the hopeful one. "But he can turn back, right? Jack can't be evil forever!"

"This kind of thing is unprecedented." Ratchet explains. "We have no idea what will happen to Jack now. But I recommend we get those Decepticon spark shards out of you as soon as possible!"

"Jack's piece died inside him, so it's safe to say that we can just remove them, right?"

Ratchet shook his helm, answering Smokscreen's question. "A spark bond is still a spark bond, regardless of how it was formed. Because only half of one has been created, the effects aren't nearly as strong- which is why Jack didn't die when Megatron did. But outright removing those shards could cause Miko and Rafael's sparks to offline, and they would soon follow."

"Which is why you need us- me and Bee." Bulkhead reasoned. Arcee felt her spark twinge when she wasn't included.

Jack doesn't need me anymore.

The medic nodded. "If I can successfully replace the Decepticon shards with yours, then that will serve as the replacement and keep Miko and Rafael alive."

"Then what are you waiting for?" Wheeljack questioned.

"The fact that this is completely unprecedented and not even close to any procedure I have performed in the past, there are many ways this could go wrong!!" Ratchet began to rant. "And then I could lose four patients instead of none at all! Or at the very least, two!"

"If the risk is worth the outcome, and if your patients are willing, I will condone this procedure." Optimus rumbled. "And though Megatron's spark is tainted more than most, I believe it would be safest to eradicate all traces of the Decepticons completely."

"You can count me in!" Miko said with more enthusiasm than Ratchet cared for. "You ready to do this, Bulk?"

"Anything for you." The sweet Wrecker replied, fist-bumping his charge.

Bumblebee whirred his agreement, and all optics fell on Raf.

The boy hesitated for a long time, tapping his fingers together nervously. "I . . . I'll do it." He said finally, Ratchet becoming more gentle towards him.

"Rafael, I will not be offended if you're too uncomfortable to try." The medic says. "Every patient has a right to say no, regardless of what doctors or anyone else says."

"I'll do it." The boy tells him with more confidence. "I'm tired of being an experiment for the Decepticons. But I'll be one one last time for you."