Chapter Eleven | Awakening

"A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born."

~Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

>>•<<

The world was dark.

Has it always been so black?

He couldn't remember a time before this, couldn't even remember his own name. A part of him knew that he was something- alive -but it didn't feel that way.

What does death feel like? This?

No . . . In death there is no . . . Pain.

It lit up every nerve in his being, burning him like an untamed wildfire. A voice- his, perhaps -screamed and begged for it to end. It radiated from his chest, flaring outwards in one continuous wave, mercilessly tearing into the inside of his body.

"Please . . ." He screamed again, another voice mingling with his before too long. His eyes, he realized, were shut, but he didn't want to open them just yet. The pain was already reaching unbearable levels, and something was preventing him from ripping open his chest and extracting the pain.

"Just make it stop!" Someone else screamed, a higher pitched voice ringing in his ears. "Make it stop!"

Another scream echoed around them, crying and sobbing soon following. They sounded very much like a child, and a put formed in his gut. A child was being hurt . . . Tortured, it seemed like.

"Please." The high-pitched voice spoke for him. "End it. Please."

>>•<<

Megatron was on his knees, one servo clutching the keypad of a monitor, crushing it, while the other barely supported his upper body from crashing into the ground.

By the pits of Kaon . . .

It hurt. Primus, it hurt. His spark felt that it was being ripped in two, his body feeling only a fraction of what Jack Darby had to endure. Soundwave had also crumpled to the ground the moment Shockwave had deemed the transfer complete, and Megatron could only assume that Knock Out had felt the same.

What does this mean? Was the experiment successful? Did I give a piece of my spark for nothing?!

As fast as it had come, though, the pain receded, but his spark still throbbed. The warlord stood and, allowing him this one bit of weakness for once, leaned against the console and took several vents.

"My lord-"

"Not now, Soundwave." He growls. "We wait for Shockwave's update on the status of the three humans. If he feels there is any trouble, we will go to the medical bay."

Soundwave just stood there for a moment before turning back to his monitor, his only acknowledgement that he heard and understood Megatron's order.

The Decepticon leader looked at the broken keypad with disdain, still panting heavily. A warning would have been nice, so that he had time to prepare for the onslaught of pain that would come, but he supposed he couldn't blame the scientist. This entire thing was experimental, after all.

"Lord Megatron." Shockwave spoke over the com-link. "The transference has been a success. The subjects are waking up completely, now."

"Excellent." Megatron straightened, turning and gesturing to Soundwave to follow. "Are there any complications we should be aware of?"