Chapter Twenty Three | Conclusion

"In literature and in life we ultimately pursue, not conclusions, but beginnings."

~Sam Tanenhaus

>>•<<

June eventually stopped struggling, watching as Arcee, Wheeljack, Jack, and Agent Fowler conversed quietly, Arcee with a digit to her audio receptor to turn on her comlink. The angry woman looked up at the warlord's face, her body twisted slightly in a painful manner, but she wasn't about to complain to him.

"If you think they're going to exchange three people for one, then you're wrong." She snaps.

"I wouldn't be so sure, Ms. Darby." Megatron replies, mouth twisted into a smirk. His sharp teeth reminded her of a shark. "Humans are rather noble when it comes to saving their own."

"Not if they're worth much less. You need to give them more than just me if you want all three of them."

"And what do you suggest? They already have many of the Iacon relics in their possession, and have no desire for a Decepticon prisoner." His red optics shined a little brighter. "If you're trying to convince me to just take you and leave, then you're going to have to try harder than that."

June glared, and she wished that Agent Fowler hadn't taken her pepper spray. Sure, she would probably die from being dropped at such a height, but zapping the 'Con in the face would be completely worth it.

"Optimus will stop you." She said confidently. "He will come here and leave you with less than you already have!"

"It's rather intriguing how much faith you put in Optimus Prime." Came the unintimidated and rather arrogant reply. "If I recall, he is the one who failed to rescue your precious children in the first place. Did you know that I defeated him on the bridge of my own ship whilst all three of them watched? Only after Jack intervened did everyone escape."

Her heart faltered slightly. "You're lying."

"I can see how you would come to such a conclusion, but unfortunately, your accusation is misplaced." Megatron sneered at her. "I have beaten Optimus Prime many times before, and it has only been with the help of his team members that he has survived this far. Tell me, Ms. Darby, why do you believe so strongly in the Prime?"

She paused. She couldn't admit to the Decepticon that she did, maybe, sort of, have a tiny crush on the noble, strong, cool, collected, and incredibly kind Autobot leader, which was part of the reason. But she believed in him because he seemed undefeatable; while many Autobots had fallen, Optimus Prime still strode proudly through the carnage, and brought victory to his team members.

He was something that she thought men lacked in. All of those things she saw in him were the things she had hoped to find in a boyfriend, and eventually husband, but after the nasty saga that was "Mr. Darby," she really had lost hope in most of the male population. Jack proved that some men out there weren't so bad, however she couldn't bring herself to trust anyone.

Except Optimus Prime.

Megatron took her silence to be a negative. "Nothing to say, Ms. Darby? Have you truly based your belief on nothing?"

"I . . . I can't put it into words." She finally admits, but in an effort to defy him further she added. "Because the reasons I believe in him transcend comprehensive thought."

This earned her a rather satisfactory pause from the Decepticon leader, as his optics narrowed and his smirk dropped into a partial snarl. "Do you think my processors are too simplistic to understand such complicated language? I know what you mean, and it only confirms my question." His fist tightened slightly against her, and she grunted softly in pain. "Don't take me for a fool, Ms. Darby."