chapter 27

chapter 27

----------------------------------------------

*Casper's POV*

I switched off the t.v. that wasn't entertaining me and threw the remote across the room.

it's been about 3 hours since Hannah has left and I can't shake this uneasy feeling I have. my stomach feels like it has twisted itself into a million little knots pulling in different directions, making me wanna throw up the scrambled eggs I just made myself.

I know their is something wrong. my mind began to ponder the horrid possibilities and the facts.

there aren't many things that could happen to her. I mean she lives next door for gods sake, it's not like she was shot walking over there.

shit, maybe she was. I should have walked her to her door. I should have gone with her. I should have had her stay the night. my mind raced with all the things I shoulda have done. my stomach twisted some more and i found myself reaching for my cell phone, because I can't fight anymore.

I quickly dialed her number that i knew by heart & waited for her to pick up.

1 ring

2 ring

3 ring. I began bouncing my leg and tapping my fingers on the arm of this ugly couch.

4 ring.

5...6..7 rings.

"hello." i hear her cheery voice say.

"Hannah! sorry I was ner-" I was cut off by the continuance of her voicemail.

"I can't come to the phone right now, but I'll call you back." I listened to the phone talk about wanting to leave a message as I blankly stared at the wall. "she is probably just sleeping. Casper" I told myself, "stop worrying and go to bed."

*****

after 4 times calling Hannah and no answer I started to get antsy. it was now about 1 in a afternoon& I know she doesn't sleep in late. casually, I snuck a look out my window to see her car still in her driveway, along with johns, but not her mothers.

"where the hell is she?" I gently whispered in frustration.

finally losing my internal battle within myself, I gathered my courage to walk over there and knock on her door.

striding longer with every step, I itched to get over there. I needed to make sure she was okay.

I reached the door and knocked three times in the crimson color before taking a step back & observing the peeling paint on the porch railing.

nobody came.

I rang the doorbell, getting more nervous.

nobody came.

i let my anxiety get the best of me & I grabbed the door handle pushing the door open to reveal a messy sight. pillows and random items were thrown about a table was knocked over and the contents on top of it were spilled onto the floor.

"HANNAH?" I called out.

no answer.

I took that as my cue to run up the stairs to her room, only to see no one behind the half open door. her bag was on her bed and the covers were still made but slightly ruffled as if she was on it but never in it.

panic filled my stomach. & I pulled out my phone searching for her contact name.

1 ring

2 rings

suddenly I heard a buzzing noise coming from within the room. my eyes searched about looking for the source.

3 rings

I walked towards the sound, *4 rings* finding her cell phone on her bed under her bag.

5 rings.

fuck. reluctantly I pulled the phone from my ear ending the call while staring at her phone.

maybe I should call her mom from her phone?

the idea sprang to action as I found myself typing in her password and searching through her contacts. once I found the one named 'momma' I didn't hesitate to call it.

1 ring

2 rings

"hello? who is this? & why do you have Hannah's phone?" her voice sounded harsh and I immediately regretted my decision.

"it's Casper. I f-found her phone on her bed. I was worried when I couldn't find her so I called you." my voice betrayed me and cracked even though I was speaking softly.

I heard her sigh over the phone.

"Casper, I'm sorry you haven't heard yet, but Hannah is in the hospital with me. John beat her. and she is clinging onto her life right now."

my heart stopped.

I didn't do the one thing I promised myself I would: protect her.

___________________________

what y'all thinking? sorry again for the short chappy but I wanted to get this out up cuz I'll be ending the story soon.

love you

-xx