Chapter 38

Drew's P.O.V

I have no reason to be jealous, I chastised myself. It wasn't like Aaron was my boyfriend or anything. If anyone should be bothered, it's Aimee. It's their business if he wants to flirt with those to pretty girls. When in Egypt, right?

One of them, with warm brown skin and voluptuous black curls that were dyed blue at the tips, giggled and playfully hit him on the shoulder. The other, with ankle length blonde hair and a wicked grin, bit her bottom lip in an obvious attempt for attention.

And Aaron was buying it!

Not my problem. Not my problem. I kept chanting to myself.

But I couldn't ignore the wave of relief that flooded over me when he left them and began walking my way.

"Finally," I groaned. "Let's go; the car place will close soon." He's spent so long talking to them that the sun started setting.

"Actually, I have good news. Nadia and Artemisia are also heading to the Dead Sea and they've agreed to give us a ride."

"Nadia and Artemisia?"

"Yeah, they're mermaids. Apparently there's going to be a party on the floor of the Dead Sea, and we're invited."

Anger boiled in my veins. Could he really be so stupid? "In case you forgot, we're on a time sensitive mission here. We can't just go out and party with the first people you meet."

He draped his arm around my waist and casually pushed me forward to where they were standing. "Trust me," he stage-whispered. "I know what I'm doing."

Although he didn't give me much of a choice, I probably wouldn't have argued with him, anyway. Something about the determined expression in his eyes told me there was no need to worry.

"Hello again, ladies," he greeted in a sickeningly charming tone. "This is my sister, Drew. Drew, this is Artemisia and Nadia."

My stomach dropped. Sister? Was this really a necessary part in his plan, or was that just how he saw me? Either way, two can play at that game, and I always win.

"It's so nice to meet you!" I cried in a cheerfully whiny voice. "Most girls my brother brings home aren't as clean."

The girls exchanged a quick confused glance as Aaron slightly stiffened. "I- it's nice to meet you too," Nadia, the one with the blue curls, recovered first and outstretched her hand to me. With a cheesy smile, I shook it.

"Alright, so shall we get going?" Artemisia asked hesitantly.

"Sure thing. Let me help you with those." Aaron reached for one of her bags, lingering when their hands touched.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm gonna vomit at least once on this trip," I mumbled.

***************************************************************************************************************************

It took all of my strength to hide the relief I felt as Artemisia stopped the car at a sketchy looking gas station. Aaron and Nadia, who at behind us finally stopped giggling at some stupid joke he said.

"I'm going to see if they have a bathroom," I said, stalking away from the car.

"I'll come with you," Aaron called after me. "Would you ladies like any snacks? I'm buying."

I couldn't hear their responses over the sound of my gag.

"Things are going pretty good," Aaron murmured in my ear once he caught up to me.

"Good for you, I suppose."

"What are you talking about?"

"You've got those girls drooling all over you. You might even get laid tonight. Maybe both at the same time. Though you're probably no stranger to threesomes."

He sighed. "Drew, I... Let's talk in here." He pushed me into the convenience store and through the isles until he found its single unisex bathroom.

The grimy room was dimly lit was one lightbulb that kept flickering. It smelled like a dirty diaper and was so small that both of us couldn't fit standing. He sat on the rusty toilet while I leaned as far as I could on the sink.

"Okay, what's so important?" I snapped. "And make it quick or else the Olsen twins will get suspicious."

"Liston, I know what you're thinking, and that's not what's going on."

"Then what is it, Aaron?" I was becoming more impatient each second.

"I did some research on the plane, and it turns out that we can't just walk up to the Dead Sea and fill a container with water. It won't work in a potion. You actually need to go to the bottom to get it. Don't ask me why, but apparently it makes a difference. And the thing is, it's blocked from most Alii, so we couldn't go down even if we wanted to."

"So what does this have to do with them?"

"Well it turns out that mermaids are the only ones that have access to it, and they are able to allow others to reach the bottom, too. Usually, it's impossible to get a mermaid to give you permission, but-"

"If you seduce Artemisia and Nadia, they might let us in," I finished.

"Exactly."

I sighed, still not thrilled about the flirting, but a little relaxed now that I knew his plan. "Why didn't you tell me any of this before we left?"

"I got the idea when I first saw them on the plane- I mean who else would have hair that long- and you were out cold. I figured it was better to ask forgiveness than permission.

"Okay, okay, I understand. Thanks for telling me."

"No problem. Now let's go so we can get this whole thing over with."

"Agreed. I-" My sentence was abruptly cut off by my phone ringing.

"Who is it?"

My heart pounded a little quicker. "It's Daria."

*******************************************************************************************************************************

A/N: Wow it's been a long time. Long story short, a bunch of craziness was going on so I was unable to update. I will try to be more diligent from now on, but I can't make any promises. :/ Thank you all so much for being patient and staying with me! Happy readings!