Chapter 10

After recapping my appointment to my nosy roommates, I made fried chicken for lunch. (The school's basement was filled with all kinds of food for kids to stuff their kitchens. There was everything from meat to cereal to fruit; it was practically a mini grocery store down there. And of course the food never went bad because Alii with earth abilities were able to revive spoiled goods.)

"I had no idea you could cook, Nix," Drew said between bites. "This is really good."

Maggie nodded in agreement. "Thanks. It's not much, really." I blushed.

"Guys we need to do some online shopping. I'm getting sick of this school's furniture," Drew grumbled.

"Great. You can show more of these top secret websites I've heard so much about," I teased.

Drew was about to respond, with some sarcastic retort no doubt, when a knock on the door interrupted her. "I'll get it!" Maggie leapt up from the school provided wooden table.

"Expecting anyone?" Drew asked.

"Nope."

Maggie returned a second later with a single piece of notebook paper. "Nobody was there, but this letter was taped to the door. It's for you Nix."

Puzzled, I looked at the note.

Phoenix,

Meet me in the second floor lobby in the freshmen dorm tomorrow at noon. There are a couple of things we need to discuss.

Love, A

"I'm guessing 'A' in the infamous Aimee Pierce?" Drew said, reading the note over my shoulder.

I handed the paper back to Maggie. "Wow that's kind of... ominous. You're not gonna go are you?"

"Of course she is," Drew argued. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Sounds like she wants to talk to you Nix. This could be your chance to get some dirt on her."

"But this girl sounds like bad news. You should keep your distance."

"It's not like she can avoid her. They'll have half- breed studies together every day."

"Guys!" I shouted. "I can decide this for myself."

"Sorry, Nix. I just don't want you to get hurt," Maggie apologized. "What do you think you're going to do?"

"Well, I'm defiantly meeting Aimee tomorrow. If I don't she could ruin my life. But at the same time, I'm not gonna try to be her best friend or anything. We'll just be... acquaintances."

"Good." Drew entered our room then emerged a minute later with a laptop. "In the meantime, let's shop."