Chapter 29

Usually, I'm pretty good in desperate situations, but as I watched one friend disappear and another pass out, an undeniable panic set in and I froze in my place.

Luckily, Aaron wasn't in the same state of shock. His quick thinking brain immediately went to work. "I'll take Nix to the nurse. You stay here and wait for Maggie. I know it's hard, but you need to hide. Aimee can't see you when that shield comes down.

It took him half a second to reach down and firmly grasp Nix in his arms. In that brief time, I snapped myself out of my daze. "Wait! Don't take her to the nurse. Go back to our dorm room 107 and call Daria Jenkins. Her number should be on the fridge." I wasn't exactly sure why I told him to call Daria of all people. After all, Nix said she was one of the people that forced her to drink the potion that induced the change. There was just some nagging suspicion in the pit of my stomach that told me she was the best option.

Aaron didn't question me as he nodded and ran off with Nix. I took his advice and made my way back to the bush where I hid before.

The next ten minutes were the most boringly fearful in my life. Boring because nothing happened. Fearful because nothing happened. I preferred hardcore action over waiting; my anticipation and imagination were a hundred times worse than actually dealing with the situation.

The only movement in my view with my erect arm hairs delicately blowing in the breeze. Just as I was about to give up and start investigating the darkness, they appeared from thin air. Aimee and the boy led Maggie and the others, who looked like mindless drones towards the dorms. Staying a safe distance behind, I followed, making sure that they never left my sight. When they reached the intersection of dorms, they stopped in front of the sophomore building. Aimee turned to Maggie, whispered something in her ear, and then strutted away like she was the boss.

I sprinted from my hiding place and cut her off by the door. "Hey Titania, what the hell happened?" Nobody was around, but I still kept my voice low.

"Titania," she snickered. "Look at you with the Shakespeare references."

"What can I say? I'm feeling clever. Now spill."

"Sorry Hecate, I promised Aimee I wouldn't tell anybody."

Not this again. Aimee must've done whatever she's been doing to control Maggie. Maybe it would just sort of wear off like it did in the past. As much as I wanted to pick her brain and figure out exactly what was going on, I had to deal with Nix now.

"Finally," Aaron groaned the second I step foot in the room. "Is she okay?" he asked, eyeing Maggie.

Her face contorted with confusion, but I ignored it. "She'll be fine. Where's Nix?"

"In your room with Daria. She's awake. We practically had to restrain her to keep her from coming to fine you."

I pushed passed him and made a B- line to my room with Maggie on my heels. "What's wrong with Nix?"

"I'm not sure. She passed out earlier."

"Drew? Maggie? Are you guys okay? What happened?" Nix questioned feverishly. She laid on her back, comfortably tucked into the bottom bunk- my bed. (It was the second time this week somebody else was there, but I tried not to dwell on that.) Daria had pulled up a chair next to her.

"We'll talk about that later. Now what's wrong with you?" Her face had shrunken in and she looked even sicklier than before.

"The change is hitting her hard," Daria replied. "What exactly happened before she feinted?"

Daria nodded thoughtfully as I relayed the events from the forest. Maggie, who had snapped out of her "follow Aimee" state, confirmed that some sort of ceremony occurred, but she didn't know what.

"So Nix passed out right before the shield went dark?" Daria asked as if she already knew the answer to her question.

I nodded. "Do you know why?"

"Of course," she chuckled. "Don't you, Nix?"

"No... Should I?"

"Did you even open your dragon changeling book?"

"Once or twice," Nix said sheepishly.

"Well anyway, what happened is called an aura. Some Alii can do it with extreme practice and patience, but it seems to come naturally to dragons. Basically, it boosts the abilities of themselves and those around them. One time, a werewolf mastered the aura and allowed is whole pack to be stronger and faster. In this case, it manifested as letting Drew and Aaron see into the shield. Obviously it doesn't last a long time, and it takes a toll on the person doing it, which is probably why you feinted."

"But I'm still changing," Nix argued. "How is that even possible yet?"

Daria smiled knowingly. "You should know that when it comes to this stuff, anything is possible."