Chapter 15

As I left the building, I passed a couple of other girls, also on their way to class. They inspected me up and down without saying a word. I wasn't sure, but I think there might have been a bit of envy in their eyes. My stride picked up once I entered the school. I notice a few other kids analyzing me. Maybe this day wouldn't be so bad after all. I checked the time on my phone and I still had ten minutes to eight, so I decided to walk around a bit.

And that was when I smacked straight into someone.

I managed to fall flat on my face while all he did was drop a tiny copy of Of Mice and Men. "Oh I'm sorry I-" My sentence cut off once I saw who I was talking to.

He had neatly trimmed and styled hair, sea foam green eyes, and six feet three inches of hard muscles you could see through his shirt. This was Aaron Sherwood, an unbelievably good looking werewolf senior that played on practically every sports team in the school. But more notably. He was also Aimee's boyfriend.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet. "Phoenix Saephan," he said in a deep, curious voice. "I've heard so much about you."

With all the preparations I've made in my head, I still wasn't ready for the moment people would start recognizing me. "Nothing bad, I hope," I pathetically said.

"No, not entirely," he taunted playfully. "Want me to walk you to class?"

"Uh sure." I prayed he couldn't hear my heart pounding away in my chest. "So why are you here? I thought seniors started tomorrow."

"Yeah. I came to help you underclassmen find their way around. What class do you have?"

"Algebra 2, room 314," I recited from memory.

"Ah, Ms. Santiago. She's awesome," he said dreamily. "Right this way." We stalked up the stairs in silence. As we approached the math hallway, he said "So you're taking Algebra 2 as a sophomore? Must be pretty smart."

My cheeks warmed up at the compliment. "Well... you know..."

"Here we are." He gestured to the door, ending my awkwardness.

"Thank you. Uh, have a good day."

"You too. Oh and I'm Aaron by the way." As if he needed to introduce himself. "See ya later, Phoenix."

Since this was a junior level class and they hadn't started yet, there were only nine students in the room. And all of them were staring at me. I hastily scrambled to an empty desk next to Maggie. "Hey! How did your first classes go?" My whisper seemed loud in this quiet room.

"Never mind about that, what were you doing with Aaron Sherwood?"

The entire class practically leaned in closer to hear my answer. "Nothing. He just walked me to class. It was no big deal."

Right then, the teacher burst through the door, heels clicking. I understood why Aaron said she was so awesome. She was about as tall as Maggie with long, wavy black hair, deep tan skin, and hazel eyes. She looked really young, like she came fresh out of college. I could see drool forming in the corner of some of the boys' mouths. "Hi guys. I'm Ms. Santiago, mermaid." She dropped her bag off at her desk and grabbed a few papers "Since most of the class isn't here right now, let's take the time to get to know each other. On these papers, I want you to right down everyone's name and something interesting about them."

That was basically how every class went from there on out. Even the classes I had with Drew and/or Maggie were boring as hell. We spent our passing periods getting further into our show. At that rate, we'd be done by tomorrow.

The only exception was in my fifth period: Dragon Studies.

"You are the first dragon we've ever had at this school, and you are one of three half breeds. It is an incredible honor to have you in this class, but I'm afraid there's only so much I can teach you. I've studied the subject extensively, so I'll definitely be able to help you a little bit..." my teacher, Mr. Campbell told me after class had ended. Luckily, the rest of the students already left, so we are alone.

"It's okay. I think I'll be okay," I muttered. I really didn't want to talk to him about this right now. I already heard this conversation before and I figured it was pointless to listen to it again. There was almost six hours before my next class, and I wanted to go back home with Maggie and Drew to relax a little.

"Of course you will. You're a strong girl and you have tons of support here."

Again, more of the same. "Thank you, sir."

"If there is anything I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask." I smiled, but remained quiet, trying to hint him at the fact that I wanted to leave. "One more thing," he said as he reached into his desk drawer. I sighed internally. Did he not realize how long he was taking? "This came for you this morning." He handed me a slightly used textbook titled Dragon Changelings. "Read this throughout the year and talk to me about it."

"Alright, I will. See you tomorrow." I walked out of the room before he could say anything else.