Chapter 24

Storm clouds had blown overhead since I was last outside for half breed studies. The temperature dropped significantly, and a slight cool breeze had picked up. Secretly, I wondered if the world was protesting to Arthur Pierce's presence.

The walk to the school was eerily long and silent. We didn't pass anybody on the way, and there were no classes taking place in the woods right now to make a sound. Mason still wouldn't meet my eyes, so I started to believe he knew what was happening, and it wasn't good. What was this man planning to do? He was obviously targeting the half breeds for something, since he brought me and Mason. So where was his daughter? Was he protecting her? Arthur wouldn't hurt us... would he? It was the height of the school day. Surely someone would hear us if he tried. I decided not to let my guard down, just in case. No matter the circumstances, this family was not to be underestimated.

Once inside the school, he directed us to Goodman's old office. I recognized the plain furniture, pea green walls, and faint smell of lavender, but the framed picture of Aimee and her mom was new. I fought the urge to hurl as I took a seat on a comfy chair, while Mason sat next to me and Arthur sat across.

For a full minute, neither said a word, so I took it upon myself to address the elephant in the room. "Why are we here?" I asked bluntly.

He took a deep breath, preparing himself for what I could only guess would be a difficult conversation. "Here at Fortnight Field Academy, we want to help all of our children have a smooth and successful transition to Alii adulthood." I wanted to roll my eyes. He isn't even Headmaster yet and he already sound like he's in a pretentious commercial.

"So?"

"So, we feel we are not doing an adequate job with you two. All of the other kids are receiving materials that have been proven. But we have no idea how to develop half breed changelings. We don't know if we're giving you wrong information that may send you down the wrong path in life."

"That's why we're in half breed studies with Mr. Cole," I objected. "He and your daughter are helping us figure everything out."

"Yes, but it's not beneficial to all of you. As changelings, you guys seem to be the ones getting all the guidance. Aimee and Mr. Cole for that matter are not getting anything out of it."

"Is that what she told you? We've only had the class once!"

"It doesn't matter how it was brought to my attention, and I can already see the direction of this class."

"What are you gonna do, kick us out?"

"No..." Another deep breath. "We are going to change you into grown Alii."

s