Chapter 31

The next morning, I found myself in the school's basement, browsing the extensive food selection. Since Nix was strong enough to walk by herself now, she insisted on coming with me. "You need to make me one of your world famous smoothies when we get back," she said as she shoved a box of strawberries in my overflowing basket.

"Alright, but we really need to figure out what that suspicious bitch is up to. I mean cancelling school for a week? There has to be some ulterior motive."

"Shh not here," she mouthed.

I was about to argue that nobody was around to hear us, but then I remembered that they had cameras down here just in case students got any funny ideas. Who knows if Pierce watched those things? Better to be safe than sorry. As usual, Nix was right. "So, how does it feel to be changing?" I asked in a not- so- covert attempt to change the subject.

"It's really weird," she replied. "Like I'm constantly switching from being too tired to feeling like I drank ten cups of coffee. And there's this power that's hiding in the back of my mind that just... wants to get out. I really don't know how to explain it."

"I bet you can't wait for it all to be over." After adding a couple more things to our load, we made our way over to the staircase where we had to write down everything we took.

"That's the thing, though. When everything is all said and done, I'll be the world's first dragon half breed! It's- it's terrifying and exciting at the same time, but I just wish..."

I nodded in sympathy because I knew what she was going to say. She wished she had more time as a changeling, like the rest of us, to get a better understanding of what was about to happen. She wished that her Varistas ceremony was a celebration and reward for surviving sophomore year instead of a part of an elaborate scheme by a power hungry lunatic. She wished she could focus all her attention on this journey without having to deal with Aimee's little... whatever at the same time. And most of all, she wished that there was somebody else like her so she didn't feel so alone.

"C'mon. Let's go home. I'll make you a smoothie."

As we turned to climb up the stairs, Nix collided with a short fluffy haired boy going in the other direction. "Sorry!" they cried at the same time.

They broke apart to no doubt forgive each other judging by the look on their faces, when the strangest thing happened. Both of their eyes glossed over like they were staring straight through the other person, all the while having a normal conversation.

"Hi again Nix," he said.

"We really have to stop meeting like this," she joked in a monotonous tone, like she was reciting a speech.

"Yeah. Well I guess all see you later." He pushed passed us to get to the basement.

"What the hell was that?" I asked once we were out of earshot.

It was almost like what happened when the Pierces did whatever the hell they did. Was it possible that boy was under the spell too? Oh well. I'll deal with it if it becomes a bigger issue. At the moment, I had more important things to deal with.

Nix snapped back to herself. "That was Jake Terrence. I met him when I got lost in the woods before school started."

"Mmm."

Suddenly, as we approached Goodman's old office (Arthur's new one), I felt the gnawing urge to peek in. Arthur and the boy from Aimee's fake farewell party lounged back on cushy chairs while drinking out of coffee mugs.

"Drew!" Nix cursed.

"Shh."

We backed up a pace behind the door so we could hear, but not see them.

"... glad you're comfortable, Nathan" Arthur was saying.

"Of course. I couldn't be more grateful. Make sure to thank that daughter of yours again for me." He appeared to be a gawky teenage boy, but he talked like a grown man.

"Oh no problem. The girl does whatever I say." They shared a quick maniacal chuckle.
Speak of the devil...

"Nice to see you on your feet again," Aimee greeted in her signature happy tone underlined with sarcasm. "Are you spying on my dad?"

A sharp panic shot through me, but Nix remained cool and collected. "I just wanted to ask him if he would excuse me from the work I missed in my classes."

"I'll tell him you stopped by."

"Thanks." Nix grabbed my arm and dragged me outside. "You almost got us caught! What were you thinking?"

"Everything's okay. She's not smart enough to suspect anything."

"No, but her dad is! What if she runs in there and tells him we were eavesdropping?"

"She won't! And even if she does, we'll find a way to deal with it."

"Drew, you can't just wait until things get bad. You actually have to prepare and at least try to prevent. God I can't do this right now. I need a nap."

########################################################################################

For the Friday before a week long break, we did a surprisingly great amount of work in my classes. The teachers probably crammed next week's entire schedule into one day, since they weren't notified about it. But worst of all was witch studies. On top of everything else, Mrs. Ciever was still making me turn in that assignment by Monday. Just another way the Pierces were screwing with my life.

Nix had more or less forgiven me when I came home for the night; she passed out again before I could really apologize. So I decided to do that stupid assignment on the couch with the T.V. on some random channel.

"I can't believe my eyes. Is that really Drew Morales actually doing homework?" Maggie feigned astonishment.

"If you wanted to do it for me to reestablish balance in the universe, I wouldn't object."

She plopped down next to me and grabbed the binder. "A comparative essay. Have fun with that."

"At least pick two cases for me. There are so many. I can't decide."

She sighed but flipped through the book nonetheless while I searched for something decent to watch. I finally settled on some old black and white movie.

"Uh D- Drew," Maggie stammered.

"What?"
"Listen to this: spirits and ghosts are two different things. Spirits are people that have died and not yet moved on to the other side while ghosts are living Alii that have a connection with the dead." she read.

"Yeah, I know. We learned that freshman year."

"Let me finish," she snapped. "This is important for an ancient ceremony called Recreare, Latin for revive. Although it is very obscure, it's still illegal because it brings the dead back to life. The process begins when a zombie summons the desired spirit. Then, two elemental wielders must direct the spirit through a ghost's body, so they can enter the physical world. From there, the spirit has sixty seconds to possess either a human or an unspecialized changeling."

My heart was racing so hard, I was afraid it might leap out of my chest and start flying around the room. "What breeds are Aimee's roommates?"

"Zombie, wielder, and ghost," she whispered solemnly. "But wait. It gets worse. The Recreare Ceremony can only occur in the place a witch died before his or her farewell party. Finally, these preceding must be overseen by a witness that did not take part in the ceremony itself. Drew, do you think...?"

"Yes I do. This is it," I said with absolute certainty. "Go wake Nix. I'll call Daria and Aaron. We've got to talk."