Chapter 23

We were still standing near the doorway in the kitchen, so I made my way to the living room to get as comfortable as I could for this conversation. Although this was something I so did not want to deal with right now, it needed my immediate attention. "Aimee's dad," I whispered to myself.

Drew handed me a can of Cherry Coke, plopped down on the couch next to me, and said, "I'll admit: I was skeptical before, but now I'm defiantly on board with the 'Aimee had something to do with Goodman's death' theory. If her dad is anything like her, I wouldn't put it past him to commit murder to get power."

"That doesn't make any sense. Her dad already has power; he's some important business man who makes mad stacks of cash, hence Aimee's luxury life. Why would he want to be the Headmaster of a high school?"

"I don't know the reason, but let's look at the facts," she suggested. "Right after Aimee got suspended and vowed to make her pay, Goodman was suspiciously murdered. Then her dad, who is notorious for bailing her out of corrupt situations, becomes Headmaster. Surely something's going on here."

"Hey you don't have to convince me of anything, but we should probably tell someone. The cops maybe?"

"Oh yes. I can hear that phone call now. Hello human police?" she mimicked a phone with her fingers against her ear. "My sixteen year old friends and I think our witch Headmistress was killed by a teenager half- breed and her father. Can you come to our remote location to arrest them?"

"Then who?" I asked, ignoring her sarcasm. "The Alii court?"

Somewhere in an isolated district in Russia, the Alii had a huge court with one representative from each breed, save the dragon. (With only to known living ones, me and my dragon teacher's friend, there was nobody willing and able to take the position.) The court made all types of rules that every Alii around the world had to follow. Rule number one was never expose ourselves to humans; we didn't want a repeat of the times when they used to kill us. Whenever someone broke any of the rules they are sent there to be judged and punished, and their punishments were harsh. Most murders involving Alii were dealt with by the human police. If there was magic involved, they usually wrote it off as a rarity, and since killings like that were so few and far between, there was never any reason to question the nature of the crimes. So what are teenagers who suspect a murder might have been committed supposed to do?

Drew rolled her eyes. "I hardly think this is the type of thing the court would waste their time with. I guess if we gathered more evidence first, then we can at least give them a call."

Before I could respond, Maggie stormed in the dorm wearing a determined expression. "Hey little fairy, what's going on?" Drew asked her.

She rushed past us to get to her bedroom. "I'm sure Nix told you everything," she shouted back. "Now I need to find something to wear tonight."

Drew flew into Maggie's room with me close behind her. The room hasn't changed much since I moved out. The only difference was the two twin sized beds have been pushed together in the right corner of the room. The window was open, letting the afternoon sun burn the room and my eyes. A mild headache started to form.

"Nix did tell me everything, and I think going to Aimee's stupid little farewell party is a horrible idea!" Drew scolded.

"It's a good thing I didn't ask for your opinion then," she snapped back. She began flipping through the cloths in her closet. "Nothing good. Mind if I borrow something?" Maggie pushed through us to get to our room.