Chapter 25

A thousand thoughts raced to my mind, too quickly to form a coherent argument. The words spewed from my mouth without direction. "You... What? You can't just change us. That goes against everything! We're too young! Don't you need permission? What about ethics?"

Mason remained silent throughout the whole thing. Arthur spoke calmly. "We have been cleared by the Alii Court, and we have written consent for both of you."

"What?" I cried, my voice thick with fury. "I never gave you my consent for anything!"

"No, but your parents did. And since you are under eighteen, they can legally speak for you."

I shook my head in disbelief. Why would my parents do something like this? I thought they would consult me before choosing to do something this big. Or at least pick whatever was in my best interest, and this definitely wasn't it. And when were they here? The last time I saw them was when they dropped me off. If they gave written consent, then that must mean they were here recently. Why didn't they tell me? I decided to give them a call later. Now, my attention was on Mason. "How long have you known about this?"

He looked down, avoiding my accusing gaze. "My parents called to tell me about it last night," he grumbled.

"And you didn't think to warn me? I thought we were starting to be friends."

"We are-"

"Not anymore," I snapped. He put his head down further. I ignored him and turned back to Arthur. "Where's Dari- Ms. Jenkins, the head Oracle. She should be here." Maybe she could convince him that what he was going was absolutely crazy.

He smiled smugly. "She with my wife right now. They're getting ready for your own personal Varistas Ceremony."

"Your wife?"

"Yes. Amelia is a very gifted witch. I recruited her to make your guys' potion," he said as if that somehow made the situation better.

"Now?" I exclaimed. "You can't force me to drink it! I won't." I crossed my arms over my chest to make a statement.

He didn't say anything else, but he grinned knowingly, making him look a hundred times creepier.

I still couldn't wrap my head around how insane this situation was. Changing children prematurely was dangerous and uncertain. Without proper preparation, we could get ourselves into all sorts of trouble. That's why we had to complete ten years of school just to change then two years after that to make sure we can fully control ourselves. His excuse about wanting to help us was entirely bogus, so what was his real motive? And why was everybody going along with this? My parents, Mason and his parents, Daria, the Alii Court... were they all drunk? Add this to my list of problems with Goodman's death, Maggie's mood swings, and Aimee's farewell party tonight.

Just then, the office door twisted open, and three similar looking women entered. All of them were tall and skinny with varying lengths of blonde hair. The first one was Daria in a turquoise blazer, black dress pants, and silver heels. Next was Aimee's mother; I recognized her from the picture on Arthur's death. Her hair and skin were flawless, making her look about Aimee's age. Slight crow's feet and laugh lines suggested she was older, maybe in her forties, and spent a lot of time and money on plastic surgery and makeup. Third was Carey, the assistant Oracle that had helped me during the Repertum Ceremony. She appeared to be nervous.

"Come in, ladies," Arthur welcomed. Let's make this quick, shall we? Mason and Phoenix, this is my wife, Amelia." He didn't even bother introducing Daria and Carey.

Amelia placed a Styrofoam shot glass down in front of each of us. "This potion rapidly speeds up the puberty process in your changeling cells," she said, as if she was reading from a manual. "It doesn't taste very good, so if I were you, I would drink it all at once. Some side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, fatigue, and irritability. Of course, it's different for everybody, but if you get too uncomfortable, make sure to give the nurse a call. You probably won't notice anything until tomorrow morning, so be prepared for that. Stay in bed for a couple of days until everything dies out and you are completely changed. Trust me, you'll know when it's over. Do you have any questions before you start your journey?"

"Can I go?" I asked.

Ignoring me, Arthur said, "Drink whenever you're ready."

Mason didn't hesitate. He immediately grabbed the Styrofoam shot glass and slurped it all.

"Carey. Daria," I cried, desperately flickering my eyes between the two of them. "Please don't let them do this. You know this is wrong."

Pity painted Daria's face. "Nix, you have to understand that this is the best way we can help you. The sooner we get started, the better.

I was about to protest more, when Amelia began talking, entrancing me with her words. "There are plenty of people to help you here. There is no reason to be afraid. Just drink the potion." Her voice was mystical. It was like she was speaking the lyrics to the most beautiful song I had ever heard. Her face was kind, trustworthy, motherly. She was absolutely right. I shouldn't be afraid. I should drink the potion. It all made so much sense.

With stomach fluttering eagerness I haven't felt in a while, I firmly grasped the tiny cup, and drank it all up.