Chapter 34

"We have peppermint oil and phoenix tears... but that's it." Mrs. Ciever frowned.

"I know where we can get a dragon's tooth," Nix groaned, pointing to her mouth.

Maggie wrapped her in an apologetic embrace and I shot a small smile. I've had teeth pulled before and it wasn't exactly fun.

"Hey we learned about hungry grass in fairy studies. It's just a patch of grass that's been cursed by fairy. Whoever walks on it gets insanely hungry. It's really easy to make, even a changeling could do it. I'm sure I could grow a batch in a couple days," Maggie chirped.

"That's great," Daria practically sighed. "What do you need?"
"Just some grass seeds. The curse is in my textbook."

"Alright so that leaves ambrosia, azoth, and water from the Dead Sea. I guess that's where the traveling comes in."

I furrowed my brow. "What is all that stuff anyway?"

"Ambrosia was the drink of the gods in ancient Greece, and azoth is mercury that has been tampered with by Alchemists."

"I thought Alchemists were just humans that tried to change lead to gold or whatever."

"That's actually a myth. They're really a breed of half human, half Alii that can physically alter any element they wish."

"So they're basically a walking chemistry set?"

"More or less. Anyway, I'm sure if you give one some mercury they could change it into azoth."

"I know an Alchemist in San Francisco that could help," Daria said.

"Hey, my parents have one of those old timey thermometers with mercury in it. If I can stop by home, I can get it and also one of my baby teeth so you don't have to take one out," Nix added. "From there I can fly to San Francisco and meet your friend."

"With what money?"

Nix turned to me and smirked, remembering our earlier conversation. "Drew's parents."

Daria eyed me skeptically. "Would your parents really lend us money?"

"Trust me, money is no object. I could get each one of us a credit card for this."

"Perfect," Mrs. Ciever grinned as the plan started forming. "Now on to the ambrosia. There's only one place I know where we can find it for sure: the Parthenon."

"You mean in Athens? I've always wanted to go to Greece!" Maggie cried.

"Then you can go. Just remember to stay focused. Don't get distracted," Daria lectured.

"Of course. So where exactly in the Parthenon is the ambrosia?"

Mrs. Ciever smiled mysteriously again. "All around it. It was mixed in with the material used to build it. All you have to do it grab a piece of the rubble."

"I guess that leaves me for the Dead Sea," I said. "That actually sounds kind of perfect."

"I can go with you," Aaron injected.

"What about Aimee? Shouldn't you stay behind so she doesn't get worried?"

"She doesn't really care about me," he stated nonchalantly, as if it didn't bother him. "I can just tell her I'm visiting my parents or something."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive as a proton."

Before I could say anything to that nerdy response, Mrs. Ciever interrupted. "Then it's all set. You guys can sneak out during the Farewell Party tomorrow. Everyone will be too preoccupied to notice."

"We can take my car to the Denver airport then split up from there," Aaron offered.

"I don't know. I still don't like the idea of Maggie and Nix going alone. Maybe you guys could go together and take two trips?" Daria tried.

"We don't have enough time," Nix argued.

"Well maybe-" but Daria's words were cut off by a knock on the door.

My stomach rose to my throat. Could it possibly be Arthur? Could he know what we're planning? I wouldn't put it past him to put cameras in all the houses or something like that so he could spy on everyone. No, I'm being paranoid, I decided. I swallowed my irrational fears and faced the door head on.

The first thing I saw when Mrs. Ciever pulled open the door was hair- a large afro to be specific. Mason Jamison wore an expression of confusion that mirrored the rest of ours.

Next to him was the fluffy haired boy Nix bumped into in the basement. "Jake?" she asked.

"Hey," he greeted. "I thought you might need us."

*******************************************************************************************************************************

A/N: A lot of the information in this chapter isn't all that accurate so if you have any questions or anything, please feel free to leave them in the comments. Thanks for reading!