Chapter 29

It was a long, long night. I spent most of it praying that we could all make whatever time Lacy had left happy and peaceful and worrying that Bridget would have a midnight breakdown and wander outside again.

I wake up at eleven o'clock and my first thought is that I have to go see Lacy. I have to spend time with her. I have to see her sweet smile again.

Looking over, I realize that Bridget has already gotten up.

So, I get out of bed and quickly change into a comfy outfit and rush downstairs.

I'm about to call out to whoever can hear that I'm heading to see Lacy but Megan spots me right away, rushes over and grabs my arm.

"Hey!" she says. "Someone keeps calling for you. She's left literally twenty messages saying you have to call her back now."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Who?"

"I think she's your... Cousin. Josie?"

I hiss in a sharp breath.

"I... I can't there's too much going on, please just... Tell her I'm praying for her and-"

"Gen, what are you talking about?" Megan asks with a confused chuckle.

"Josie's going through a lot right now, and sometimes she talks to me about it but I-"

"Well you should listen to the messages for yourself because she sounds excited to me!" she chuckles.

My breath comes out in a long exhale as I think about calling her. Maybe her dad has forgiven her mom and her mom has forgiven her dad and... Wow... This could be great news!

I smile, which is one of the last things I thought I would naturally do today.

"Ok, lead the way," I say gleefully.

Megan gives a sweet smile and wraps one arm around me as we head to the phone.

She puts her hand over the button to start the messages but first she looks over me and chuckles, "Brace yourself."

"Hey! Gen! Please call back soon!!!"

That was the first one. She's definitely excited about something. I smile. Her parents must be getting back together.

"Gen!!!! I have something to tell you, pleasssseee pick up!!!"

*beeeeeep*

"Genevieve I swear call me back NOW!!!"

I let out a snort and the messages go on. All twenty of them telling me I MUST call her NOW.

Still rather reluctant to talk to anyone outside of the Tolia family at this particular moment I lick my lips and make a comment that's only half sarcastic.

"Soooo... Do I have to call her?"

Megan laughs but her giggle is cut short by Michelle who has suddenly appeared behind us. She says, "Ew now. No offense, but there's something off about that girl's mother so I don't trust them."

"Mich!" Megan hisses.

"It's ok..." I mutter. "But please don't judge them. There's a lot that even I don't know about how hard they've had it.

Michelle's face softens. "I'm sorry..." she mumbles, scurrying out of the kitchen in hopes we don't notice her face turning red.

I sigh.

"I suppose I'll call her."

Meg strokes my hair. "You amaze me sweet girl."

Her eyes are brimming with tears and without warning she pulls me into a hug.