Chapter 25

I probably only got four hours of sleep after all of that. Since it's a school day, the hustle and bustle of everyone trying to get ready arouses me a lot earlier than I would've liked.

Arguing downstairs in the kitchen spikes my curiosity. Slumping groggily down the stairs I hear,

"My gaaaah, Bridget, I literally said good morning to you, what is your deal?" Michelle whisper-screams

"I'm not in the mood, ok?" I hear Bridget's voice snap back.

Oh boy. She's trying to bury her grief from last night and it's just turning into anger.

"You're not in the mood for a friendly wake up call??"

"Just don't talk to me!"

"Guys!" Megan interrupts just as I enter the kitchen.

That's all she has to say to get the two others to set their lips is a stubborn mouth and stop fighting.

Megan sighs with annoyance and turns to look at me. "Oh hey, Gen."

Then she looks over her shoulder and grumbles, "Nice goin guys, you woke up Gen."

Bridget glances up from the PB & J she's making to give me a blank look. Michelle nearly flings the butter knife she's using to spread mayonnaise across the room as she opens her mouth to protest. I quickly stop her by saying, "AH! Ah, ah, it's no big deal. Probably would've been up anyway. Had a bad night."

Bridget flicks her attention back to her sandwich as if she's embarrassed about what happened last night.

"Did Bridge have a bad night too?" Michelle mumbles. "Cause she is the grumpy old troll today, I swear to... Martha Washington's second cousin..."

Bridget sends a death glare her way as I struggle to push away the fact that Bridget could very well have died last night. That mustang was not taking its time getting where it was going and Bridget's emotions had her disoriented.

Biting back the harsh words I want to throw at Michelle, I remind myself that she doesn't know about anything that happened last night.

"As a matter of fact, she did have a rough night. So if you please, just let her be?"

"Because she couldn't sleep she has the right to be rude to me???" Michelle snaps.

Bridget slams the butter knife down and makes a move towards Michelle but Megan grabs both her arms and restrains her. The shouting that ensues inevitably brings Mom in, dragging little Liam by the hand.

"Girls!" she scolds. "What in the name of anything decent is going on in here?"

Megan roughly lets go of Bridget who scowls and crosses her arms. Everyone stands there in stubborn silence until Mom finally gives up.

"Whatever," she sighs, pinching her nose. "Get in the car you four, or Liam's gonna be late."

She pushes everyone excluding me towards the door and as she the exit it, she calls, "No more squabbling! Especially in the car!"

Shutting the door with a tired sigh she lets her gaze rest on me. Trying her best to offer me a smile while she's at it, she ask, "What provoked all that?"

"Uhhh... Bridget was just being kinda cranky... I- Iiiiit was a long night for her."

Mom raises her eyebrows slowly and curiously, like she knows that the bad night involved more than just not being able to get to sleep because of caffeine or something. But in the end, she decides not to question it. She just shakes her head and sighs.