Chapter 21

Bridget's POV

Is it a school day? Yes. Has Natalie called between every single passing period to see why I'm gone? Yes. Have I answered? No.

I'm allowed to play hookie today. The twins called it lame, and went right on to school. But they don't get it. They soooo don't get it.

I wouldn't be able to do school. Between Lacy's relapse and Gen leaving, heck even Ben's marriage is adding another layer of emotion that I'm not sure I can handle right now.

I'm heading to see Lacy this morning. I haven't decided whether I'll tell her about Gen leaving... She'll find out at some point but... I don't think I can bring myself to break her little heart after she'd just been dumped into a hospital bed again.

I slouch through the all too familiar doors immeadteialy realized I've managed to walk on during Luke's shift; which I'm actually really grateful for.

"Hey, kid!" he calls as I make my way up to the front desk.

I try not to be a grouch and offer him a smile.

"You skip school just so you could visit during my shift?" he teases.

I roll my eyes and sarcastically drone, "Yeeeesss, Luke."

He chuckles and begins to do the usual signing in process for me, without me having to say a word.

When he's done he looks back up and plops the pen down on the desk, suddenly getting serious.

"Uhhhh... Look kid..." he starts carefully.

"Did you hear the results of all the tests?" I ask anxiously.

His eyes narrow in confusion as he says, "Have they not already called your parents about all that?"

I scrunch up my forehead in thought as I slowly shake my head.

"No... Not that I've heard..."

"Well, crap," he mumbles, causing my anxiety to spike.

"Why??" I demand. "Is it bad?"

"Oh no!" he replies quickly. Then quietly mumbles, "I mean... Yeah, kinda..."

When he sees the look I give him, he tries again with, "Ok look, Bridget, what I'm trying to say is... It's complicated. Even the doctors are confused. The cancer's acting weird but..."

"What?" I say, shaking my head.

"It's confusing. But there's plenty of hope left. Sorry we haven't called, stuffs been... Hard..."

I watch him worriedly, wondering what he means and assuming he'll go on. But he just stares at nothing for a while, before snapping back to the present and saying, "Well, go on, go see Lacy. Just be very gentle and approach her... Mildly. She's had a rough couple of days."

I open my mouth to ask what happened exactly, but clamp it shut again as he nervously waves me off. I take a couple steps back before whirling around and heading to Lacy's all too familiar hospital room.

"Lacy?" I call softly with a little push of the door.

When I see her tiny body, I gasp and have to refrain from running right back out of the room.