"I'll let you get settled in," my usually loud aunt said quietly. I heard her turn and saunter off down the hall.

An hour later, my clothes were hung in the closet and my suitcases were out of sight – it felt like home. I had changed into a pair of white shorts and a red t-shirt, and I replaced my Uggs with a pair of black flip-flops. It felt strange wearing flip-flops in December, when back in Vancouver it was snowing and I'd be freezing my buns off.

Next I went to the washroom, which had a similar theme to my bedroom. Reaching down, I turned on the tap and splashed the cool water onto my face over and over and over. Then I sat back and looked in the mirror. I was not the same girl as last time I was here. I leaned close to the mirror and experienced a moment of hope when I realized my eyelashes seemed longer and fuller than they had in a while. And although my hair was short, there was still a smidge of growth I noticed over the past few weeks. Soon, my hair would be long enough to look like a tomboy rather than a cancer patient. At least it was a step up.

I leaned away from the mirror and looked at my body overall – I was pale and skinny beyond belief. My bluish veins threatened to burst out of my vampire-white skin, and my face looked drained and tired.

Turning away from my reflection, I walked down the hall to Nico's room and knocked on the door.

"Yeah," Nico said absentmindedly. I took that as a signal that I was allowed in.

Nico sat on the bet playing Call of Duty, a beer nestled between his arm and his leg. All he needed now were a couple of hot strippers and he'd be living every guy's dream.

"You're such a boy," I commented, going to sit on the bed next to him. Surprisingly, he paused the game and turned to me.

"And that's a bad thing?" Nico remarked, taking a swig of beer.

"No...but I guess it could be at times. Where'd you get the beer?" I asked.

"Mike brought it up for me. He's a cool guy," he said.

I laughed lightly. "Of course you think he's a cool guy – he brings you beer."

"And that is how men become friends," Nico proclaimed, raising the beer triumphantly before bringing it to his lips and taking a swig.

I rolled my eyes at him.

"So, your aunt was saying she's having company over tonight for dinner."

"She told you that?" I said.

"No, I overheard her conversation. But you should probably just casually go downstairs and see if she says anything to you about it."

"Sounds good. You should get back to your game I guess," I said, smirking at him.

"Later Elle," he said, flashing me a smile before turning back to the TV.

I padded down the stairs and into the living room where Aunt Jodi was sitting. When she looked up, she noticed me walking towards her and smiled.

"Ella, I have some exciting news. I have some family friends coming over for dinner tonight, and they have a son around your age who is quite attractive. It's going to be wonderful."

Wonderful? I was thinking more along the lines of awkward and humiliating.

"Mmm hmm," I mumbled.