Chapter Thirty Three

Thursday, 1 September 2016

Tori's POV

"Do you think it would look better as a two piece? We can keep the lace at the top, but we separate it just a little from the bottom of the dress," I said in thought as I nibbled on my bottom lip.

"I like that idea," Jason nodded and made the changes to the sketch.

In the past few days I've made a lot of big decisions and changes. Most of them were in regards to my profession.

I quit my job at Michael Kors.

After the assault and rape happened, I realised that I didn't want to be working there anymore. I wasn't happy and the place brought up too many memories of Samantha. I decided to do something I've always wanted to do – to start my own clothing line.

I had a conference call with John Idol, the now CEO of Michael Kors, to inform him of my resignation which was effective immediately. He did something which shocked me immensely.

He reminded me that I had the full right to withdraw all the designs Jason and I came up with (before the attack happened) if Jason agreed. Everyone knew that you could withdraw your designs – if Michael Kors hadn't started promoting it yet – but it had never happened before.

That same afternoon I invited Jason over and told him of my plan. He was promised a role on the board, to be a shareholder and to be one of my company's head designers if he agreed. I didn't have much more to offer him other than that, since my company hadn't technically existed yet.

Jason isn't stupid though. He knew the offers (and the salary) I was presenting him with, was way better than any other company could offer him. He jumped at the opportunity.

That same afternoon I wrote an email to Michael Kors' board members to inform them of our decision. Jasper sent in his resignation.

I felt a little guilty for withdrawing my line and for practically stealing one of Michael Kors' most promising designers from right under them, but that's the way the business worked.

Jason and I were now scrambling to finish our line in time for New York Fashion Week, which was right around the corner. It was a little hard though since my arm was broken and he was the only one who could draw.

When he finished drawing the change in, I nodded in approval and sat back to look at the designs.

"Is that it? Are we done with the line?" Jason asked and I nodded. He let out an excited laugh. He was practically buzzing in his chair. "This is amazing. I never thought I'd be able to do something like this at such a young age. Thank you for giving me this opportunity," he smiled.

"Thank you for accepting my offer. I never doubted you'd be able to succeed. Now, we still need a name if we're going to submit our designs to NYFW," I said and he bit on his bottom lip.

"I have an idea, to be honest. Just promise you won't laugh," Jason said and I nodded. "I was thinking of Victorious. Because, well, you're name is Victoria and all. Also, uh, I just..."

He let out an irritated huff and tried to spit out his words. "You've been through a lot and it doesn't appear to be stopping you at all. I know you feel like you've got a long road ahead, but you're already rising up above this incident. I feel like you are victorious and maybe the new company symbolises a new start for you," he rambled and shrugged his shoulders nervously.

I could feel a lump forming in my throat at his words. I desperately tried to keep my tears at bay.

"I honestly love the idea for the name, Jason. And thank you so much for your kind words. I'd like my company's name to be Victorious," I said and he grinned proudly.