Chapter Thirty Two

Sunday, 28 August 2016

Ross's POV

I sleepily blinked my eyes as I looked around the room. I could hear the soft sounds of protesting birds as the rain fell down softly on them. I looked to my left and saw Tori sleeping peacefully besides me.

I still couldn't believe how much Tori went through in her short twenty years of life. I couldn't even begin to imagine how she must have felt all these years and now again. I don't know what I would have done if something like this happened to my mom or Rydel twice.

I could still remember how absolutely heartbroken I was the night that Tori told me about all of this.

Tori had forced me to go back to the hotel with Kyle and Jasper. The past few nights I had been sleeping besides her bed. I had been scared to leave her alone that night; especially since she had told me about everything. I knew I needed a good night's sleep and needed to regroup and wrap my head around everything.

I couldn't sleep that night, though. I kept lying in bed and crying silently as I thought about everything that Tori had went through. I hadn't known her when Damon assaulted and raped her the first time, but I still felt heartbroken over the incident. It wasn't my fault in any way, but I couldn't help how my body shook with sobs the whole night through.

It was a very difficult night, almost worse than when I found out Tori was in the hospital, but I allowed myself to feel my emotions and the pain and then put them away. I knew Tori needed me now more than ever and I was willing to be there for her.

I let out a gentle sigh before leaning over and pecking her bruised cheek. She wasn't as pale anymore, but the bruise was still very observable on her cheek.

I headed to the en suite bathroom and looked in the mirror. I cringed at the sight of my bed head and the bags under my eyes.

"If I was a girl, I could use concealer to cover these," I mumbled to myself as I poked lightly at the bags.

After doing my business, washing my face and fixing my hair, I walked back to the room to collect my phone. When I was in the living room, I called my mom and had a quick chat with her.

"How are things over there, honey? Do you feel better than the other night? Are you sure you don't want to talk about it?" my mom asked and I nodded to myself as I sat on the couch. She was referring to the night I found out about Damon. She called me that night, coincidentally, and I was a mess. She hadn't known why though.

"Things are good here. We got to the new apartment last night and it's really nice. I feel better than the other night, thank you. I would, but it's Tori's story and I don't want to disrespect her by telling people about it. I don't think she wants it known," I told my mom honestly.

"Well, is it bad?"

"Yeah, it is," I confirmed and got more comfortable on the couch.

"Is she okay now though?" my mom asked and I thought carefully about her words. I thought about my conversation with Tori last night and the picture of her cut up arm quickly flashed through my mind.

"I don't know, Mom . . . I don't think anyone would be after something like this."

"Can I just ask one thing? Was she only assaulted or did something else happen?" my mom asked and I immediately knew what she was hinting at. My mom would find out anyway with the court trial . . .

"No, it wasn't only assault," I said as I felt the warm tears pool my eyes. I hated to think about it. I hated to think about how someone violated her in such a personal way – and not only once, but twice.