Chapter Nine (IX)

Start from the beginning

*

I woke up again before Sapphire, around eight in the morning, and decided to draw a bath. I made sure the water was as hot as it could go, and then woke her up as soon as it was full.

"Saph?" I rubbed her shoulder. She moaned grumpily before opening her eyes. "There's a bath waiting for you..." She plopped her head back on the pillow, closing her eyes and whined. I chuckled, picking her up in my arms. "Come on, I'll join you." I brought her to the counter, took off my t-shirt that she was sleeping in, then stripped myself, picked her back up, and got in the water. I had slipped some spearmint essential oil to help with the pain, which she seemed to enjoy.

She didn't get the first wave of pain until we were about to get out. She just swam over to my lap, laying her head onto my shoulder.

"I had Erzsi come over earlier. She gave me something to help... It's not just your disease, it's also your body changing." She groaned, feeling defeated.

"No break for me, huh?" I kissed her forehead.

"Not today..." Once she told me she was fine, I helped her out of the tub and dry off, then she pulled on some of her own sweatpants, and then went to steal one of my shirts... I didn't mind, honestly. Now that our scents merged since we mated, nobody would dare think about her in such a way, but I liked my scent to be strong on her. "Erzsi said to take one drop if you want to stay viable during the day, two to sleep, three if it gets so bad, will knock you comatose." I handed her the vial. "She did warn me, if you take one, you're probably going to feel weak until it gets out of your system, but it'll keep everything under control." She eyed it warily. "She hasn't seen this before in her lifetime, only studied it. You're a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing." A soft smile crossed her lips.

"I'm special, huh?" I brushed her hair back, placing a kiss down on her mark. She shivered, looking back at me.

"Special to me, yes. Special to the world, very much so." She stood on her tip toes and pressed a kiss to my lips. I ruffled her hair and took her hand. I was going to take her out today, just so she didn't feel suffocated.

I brought her out to the garage and told her to pick a car. She looked at me like I was insane. She looked around and then pointed at the NSX sitting at the end of the line. "Good choice."

I opened her door for her, allowing her to slip inside

I opened her door for her, allowing her to slip inside. Once I got in, I brought the car out, then hit the road. I always drove over the limit. However, the law enforcement were all magical beings in this city. The chief of police was a Were-Vamp hybrid, while most of his officers were werewolves during the day vampires during the night, and a few pixies and hybrids in between. In return for their service, blood for the vampires was provided by live-donors at the hospital, usually nurses, or they were given blood bags on a stressed night. Some nurses at the major hospital were half-fae, so their blood held some healing powers. Sometimes, they were wounded and they'd gobble down a half-fae, leaving them slumped in a heap on the floor, but they'd be tended to before they could actually die. The head nurse at the hospital was a full Faerie. She empowered those below her to save a life if she had to.